Respected Contributor

Re: How, if at all, have you changed in the.......

I'm thinking of leaving my body to science.  Even scientists need a good laugh now and then.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 I hope you live a very long healthy and happy life. 💕
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

These pretty much sum me up in the  last 10 years:

Funny.

The fact that I have more clothes to sleep in than I do to go out in says a lot about who I am as a person

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

For me its more like 20 yrs ago, I changed not by choice. I used to work, go out dancing, was the life of the party. After my c spine surgery and on going back issues Im now the life of a home body lol. IF I had my choice id be out doing what I used to and working yet! Now fun for me and DH is going to the movies and out to dinner, as well as family visiting.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@violann I love that you took up the tuba. That is the coolest thing.

Why THANK YOU! A much maligned, very beautiful instrument. It’s added a beautiful dimension to my musical life. 😉

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Well, for the past ten years, after falling off my bike, I have been terrified of falling again, which did happen again last year.  I had to force myself to leave the house after that fall.  

Two years ago I experienced a breast cancer scare, with a resulting lumpectomy, and two weeks ago I had my thyroid removed for possible cancer.  Luckily, the cancer was small and contained so I lucked out again.  

Most days I am cheerful but there is the ever present knowledge that my husband and I are vulnerable in so many ways.  Too melodramatic?

Super hugs from me! Do you think it might be time for some wonderful, outlandish, unexpected distraction to occupy the “dark corners” in your thinking?

You’ve clearly earned your advanced degree in “bravery and courage”, maybe time to try writing poetry, or singing or ........whatever you can imagine to draw you towards a bright place when you need it.

Hope you are still willing and able to “leave the house”. Something wonderful may be hidden right outside your door. I’m hoping so!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

As they age, many women begin to lose spouses and long-time friends through death.  I think this affects them mentally with depression which also affects them physically.  It takes a strong will and extreme effort to pull one's self out of this funk, resume normal activity and go on with life.  Not feeling well makes it even harder.  Please, if you find yourself in this situation, discuss it with your doctor.   Thete is medication that can make a world of difference in your outlook.  Counseling can also help and can get you off on the right foot.  You may not even know youre suffering from depression until you recover.

Yes, absolutely! Some of us were still part of the “girls do this/boys do that” myth, and I was trained NOT to “go outside the family” for solutions when things got tough.

The tougher, worrisome side of my life includes being a caregiver to a grandchild whom I cherish and who lives with a disability, and at the same time being a caregiver to an equally cherished LO who is the last of my “five mothers”, and is suffering from dementia, the “Long Goodby”. Juggling, balancing, carving “me” time? You bet.

Professional help, medical, psychological, in my case spiritual too, has been a mainstay. NEVER GIVE UP ON LOOKING FOR HELP. Great comment, @Kachina624 !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

"Of course I experience the 'aches and pains' of advancing years,"

I hear this statement just about every day.  Folks act like its to be expected.  At what age should I expect these aches & pains???  My 95 yr old mother is still waiting for them to appear.  My siblings & I who range in age 60-69 are still waiting.  My father who was 92 when he passed never had them either. 

Genetics?

Yes, I think so.  Richard Clark (American Bandstand) after a compliment, once said it's in the genes.  I think so.

Some people are very lucky and it sounds like your family is a great example.  I hope you will be as lucky as the others in your family.

Honored Contributor

Atta girl!!!  You go, so proud of your successes.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   I really like you!