Honored Contributor

Re: HoIm w, if at all, have you changed in the.......

Ten years ago, well, my family is gone, I'm retired, we've been through a health crisis, moved, and it's all good.  Change is a constant in my life in the last 50 years, so I am fine with it and go with the flow.

I have time to do what I want to sometimes now, live a very stressful life because of a few issues, but in general I am very happy.  We're both still above the grass, have our friends, and are taking the opportunity to dig in and recraft our life again.

Honored Contributor

Re: How, if at all, have you changed in the.......

@violann I love that you took up the tuba. That is the coolest thing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@LibbyLib @Beautiful a joy to read.I hope your dreams of travel come true and that you have no bumps along the way.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  Interesting thread!

My focus has changed.  I taught through a love of art as well as a former teacher whom was married to a member of the House of Representatives.  

I also taught to make sure teenagers made it to higher education so they could be successful and mentored them through graduations.

I choose using my love of color to make ladies, many whom might be the mothers of those students, feel beautiful as well as talk to them so they could develop skills.

I have always had a high level of health and love vegetables.  I inherited high bp from all 4 grandparents.  My med list is surprisingly small.

This largest issue seems to be possibility trying to do more than I should have.

I never liked entertaining large groups.  I do every family holiday and birthday gathering. I'm always in the in the kitchen.  I prefer to meet someone out for diner or have one or 2 couples.  I really like eating different places.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

My focus has changed.  I taught through a love of art as well as a former teacher whom was married to a member of the House of Representatives.  

I also taught to make sure teenagers made it to higher education so they could be successful and mentored them through graduations.

I choose using my love of color to make ladies, many whom might be the mothers of those students, feel beautiful as well as talk to them so they could develop skills.

I have always had a high level of health and love vegetables.  I inherited high bp from all 4 grandparents.  My med list is surprisingly small.

This largest issue seems to be possibility trying to do more than I should have.

I never liked entertaining large groups.  I do every family holiday and birthday gathering. I'm always in the in the kitchen.  I prefer to meet someone out for diner or have one or 2 couples.  I really like eating different places.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the subject.

I'm not sure I even understand some of it. 🤔

Honored Contributor

Well, for the past ten years, after falling off my bike, I have been terrified of falling again, which did happen again last year.  I had to force myself to leave the house after that fall.  

Two years ago I experienced a breast cancer scare, with a resulting lumpectomy, and two weeks ago I had my thyroid removed for possible cancer.  Luckily, the cancer was small and contained so I lucked out again.  

Most days I am cheerful but there is the ever present knowledge that my husband and I are vulnerable in so many ways.  Too melodramatic?

Valued Contributor

This is very emotional for me. Like a “Tale of Two Cities”, these have been the best of times and the worst of times.

Ten years ago my younger son passed at 21. Unbearable pain. Being a teacher got me through this year. My students needed me and I needed them. 

Teaching also got me through breast cancer— chemo, surgery, radiation, failed reconstruction. I taught through it all. With the class, I forgot about my problems.

On the happy side, my older son passed the law bar, got married, gave me 2 wonderful granddaughters who make me laugh and now one more girl on the way soon!

I won a major award and $$$ in recognition of 3 years of high test scores and  later 3 extensions to my retirement plan. I finally retired after 44 years of teaching in June.

I feel fortunate to still be here. I am happy that I found this group of anonymous people.

I look forward to reading your thoughts each day.And I look forward to many more years.

Respected Contributor

All of the changes in my life in the last ten years have been for the better.

I've gotten stronger, healthier and fitter. 

I've stopped giving a frog's fat fanny about what anyone else thinks and I simply don't tolerate any nonsense.

I do what I want to do, when I want to do it. 

I've never had any interest in cooking/entertaining/homemaking and I don't see that changing. Ever. I'd rather go out or travel than sit at home and I do it every chance that I get. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the subject.

I'm not sure I even understand some of it. 🤔

@Ms tyrion2 The first sentence which is introductory, tells what is following.  Others have talked about divorce.  I spoke of career and a change of focus from a long career into my life preferences.

I have always preferred to accept people for what they are and not be judgemental.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I changed very little in my 60s, except for retirement. I'm now 71 and believe me, there is a difference, at least for me. I think it's more of an attitude, plus the fact that my body is slowing down! I'll remain as active as possible and take care of my appearance, but don't deny me my afternoon nap! LOL! Cooking and cleaning?? I'll get around to it!