Respected Contributor

Re: How, if at all, have you changed in the.......

l inherited a nice sum of money five years ago from my Aunt/Godmother which was a complete surprise. She also had a Stepson who Inherited the same. I still worked to age 65 ,just turned 67,as had to before as divorced and needed to build up retirement. Now I  can pretty much do what I want , travel and donate to charities. Pay cash for cars etc. Remodeled areas of my home that needed it like new windows and doors.  Been to Europe three times.

I am on High Blood Pressure pills and that is all so far. I started Gentle Yoga and walking 4 plus miles a day with my dogs. I joined a Book Club.  I bought a Kindie and read more. I go to the Chiropractor which. Ever thought I would do but ..low back pain hurt so badly I tried it.

Retirement two years ago  was freeing. I still wear makeup and color my hair. I don't dress up any more. I quit dating  three  years ago. Happier ,as too much work to do it. I admire those still happliy. married and those who love late in life. I have been alone 15 years now. Just  a lot less stress but harder to keep up the yard and house. 

Honored Contributor

I'm 57 and I don't think I've changed much since I was 47.  Not in the ways that really matter.  Not in the ways that define me.  I have some health issues that I did not have 10 years ago but my health doesn't define me or limit me and they are not serious things.  Chronic, age related stuff.  Ten years ago, I was on no meds but today I take a pharmacy of meds and supplements and I thank God for that.  I love my career more than I did 10 years ago, I'm under less stress than I was 10 years ago.  I don't have an awful commute now because with modern technology, I work from my home office.  I go into the office about a half dozen times a year for meetings.  Yay!  I have two amazing little grandchildren, one from each daughter.  I love being a Nana!   I was a girly girl, fashionista when I was 7 and I am still am.  I love shopping, clothes, jewelry, makeup.  Nothing has changed in the past 10 years and I doubt it ever will.  My mom and her sister passed away when they were in their 80's and they remained fashionistas until the day they went to heaven.  I don't cook as much but that's because we discovered the joy and convenience of Grubhub, Uber Eats and DoorDash.  It's just the two of so, so we can splurge.  I think 10 years ago, we probably went out to dinner more than we do now but that's because we have meals delivered several times a week.  There have been changes in my life but good changes.  I don't think of the 60's as being old.  I don't know what the next 10 years has in store for me but I'm fairly certain that I'll still be me.  

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Changes? Pretty much everything in the last 10 years. I was 54 then.

Some of the changes were my choice. Some weren't.

I retired from my career job, sold my house and moved to a condo in a town I had wanted to move to for years.

4 years ago I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Mine is rare in that it didn't settle in the breast but went directly to the bone. Before that, I was one of those people who rarely needed a doctor. Had never had a surgery or broken a bone. What a change!

No one knows how long I have left to live. I am doing well on medication right now. living my life as fully as I can. I have a great circle of friends and a great social life. I'm planning a trip to Hawaii next year

I probably won't get to be an old lady. 😁.  I am ok with that.  One thing that isn't going to change, though. I'm keeping my dark Auburn curly , boho hair. No gray and no short pixie cut for this woman !  😁

HeartHeartHeart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

"Of course I experience the 'aches and pains' of advancing years,"

I hear this statement just about every day.  Folks act like its to be expected.  At what age should I expect these aches & pains???  My 95 yr old mother is still waiting for them to appear.  My siblings & I who range in age 60-69 are still waiting.  My father who was 92 when he passed never had them either. 

Genetics?

In my case, it is due to a  physically-misdirected employment experience in my youth and middle age.

Respected Contributor

10 years ago I had open heart surgery. It took a while to recover,but I did.I then had cancer and many surgeries.Went through a really rough 2 years.I had to stop working because I physically could not.Our 2 best friends died that we did so much with.I can"t do some things I would like because of my limitations.I was not ready to retire,but it"s ok now.Just making the best of things.I am content and grateful for all my blessings.My life has changed but it can still be fun.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 @I am praying that you will beat this thing to the ground and show everyone that you can’t be messed with.I admire your attitude.my mil was given five years with her cancer diagnosis...doctor was out by fifteen years.She passed away at 82..she was mad at the docs and told them she was too young and wasn’t ready for that news at 62.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

10 years?  Where do I begin.  At 58 I had no major health issues.I took no meds. I liked being out and about.  Liked dressing up, make-up the whole nine yards. I had energy to spare.  I liked cooking and having people come for get togethers.

Fast forward 10 yrs., when I hit 66 everything on me started falling apart.  I don't give a rat's backside about clothes, make-up, shopping or going out (other than meeting 3 friends for dinner monthly). I don't cook much anymore.  The thought of entertaining exhausts me.

I have done a 180 concerning pretty much everything.

Anyone else change a lot in 10 relatively short years?

You sound a lot like me.

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo wrote:

10 years ago I had open heart surgery. It took a while to recover,but I did.I then had cancer and many surgeries.Went through a really rough 2 years.I had to stop working because I physically could not.Our 2 best friends died that we did so much with.I can"t do some things I would like because of my limitations.I was not ready to retire,but it"s ok now.Just making the best of things.I am content and grateful for all my blessings.My life has changed but it can still be fun.

I applaud your outlook on life.

Frequent Contributor

What a great post. I read all of the comments and love the non-judgemental sentiment in this thread. Everyone seems to understand, regardelss of how they're living their own lives. We have so much in common, no matter how we live our lives.

I'll be 52 in a few months and find it shocking how much life can change in 10 years - or less. My ultra conservative parents disowned me (and my husband) because we changed politically. I had a hysterectomy. I lost my business. There were some really hard times. Scary times. Despair.

But...nothing stays the same.

My career took a new turn and I am successfully making money doing work I only dreamed of doing when I was a child. My husband and I celebrated 20 years of marriage a few weeks ago. We feel good about the people we've become. We are more compassionate, more open, happier. Life is hard and people need help. Philanthropy without strings, just love, is becoming a guiding purpose in our life and like others have said here, it gives you purpose and perspective.

We are now making plans to retire in 10 years and hit the open road! We want to be free. We are going to travel through the US, Canada and Mexico in a van! It's a dream, and since I've learned that dreams can come true and life is SUPER short, we're going for it. We've bought the van and have started to build it out. (Google "Van Life" or check out Youtube and other social media - it's a big thing young people are doing to see the country affordably and older people are doing to cut costs in retirement!)

Every day I worry about our health. These are the best years we have left and anything can happen, as too many of you know from personal experience. Every year we get a little stiffer, a little more tired. Smiley Happy We know what aging feels like now. My husband used to get a stiff neck from lifting weights, now he gets a stiff neck from a nap on the couch...lol

I have up and down days. I went to a doctor and take Welbutrin, an anti-depressant. It's scary doing something like that at my age. It's scary not to. We all have to push ourselves just a bit to do anything some days. It's a little more effort to do everything now. When you're younger you haven't had all the bad experiences yet and you're so optimistic! The bad experiences will taint your perspective and make you bitter and angry. And chronic pain is a bitch too. Smiley Happy 

The makeup and hair thing? I think it can be a good thing. We're in a new chapter. We don't care about turning heads as much. Our sexual selves don't have to DIE, but other things become more of a priority - it's biological as we are no longer having babies. I like not worrying about my appearance. I wasn't able to leave the house without a full face of makeup and it was a crutch. There's a balanced feeling, a freedom in having the confidence to throw on a simple outfit, let our hair dry naturally, put a bit of lipstick on and go. Of course, there's a fine line between confidence and just giving up...it's all about perspective! lol

I don't know what lies ahead for us in 10 years. I know what we're planning, but life has its own plans! I wish each and every one of you hope. A little hope will get you from one day to the next. Smiley Happy

And, remember, someone always has it worse than you, so go help them. <3

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HoIm w, if at all, have you changed in the.......

I'm 75 and so far no aches, pains or medical issues.  The only time recently that I felt my age was first weekend in August when my Son and I took my 6 and 8 year olds to both Universal and Disneyland: the crowds were insane (last weekend before school) and temps were in mid nineties.  At this point (maybe later I'll change my mind) I think this is my last trip to Disneyland.  I did have my only child at 45 without any issues, so I'm already the exception with that accomplishment.