Esteemed Contributor

How do you know when it's time to shift gears into "little old lady" mode? Is it something you do deliberately, or is it something you accidentally become?

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

How do you know when it's time to shift gears into "little old lady" mode? Is it something you do deliberately, or is it something you accidentally become?

It sneaks up on you I think.  No one deliberately shifts into it.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
I think that for most women there is some Little Old Lady at any age, and there will always be some 20-something whatever your age.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I always said I would never be that "hey you kids get off my lawn" person but as I am aging I have been struggling with a lot of things that the younger generations find perfectly acceptable.  I always keep my opinions to myself but sometimes it makes me a bit sad.  Each generation has to find their own way.

Respected Contributor

Some women never do. Look at Lauren Hutton at age 71.

LH

LH

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Ha Ha, let me tell you girl, I will be 65 in less than a month, I will never say I'm in "little old lady mode"  It's a frame of mind. I'm currently recovering from a total knee replacement done in May, still in physical therapy but as soon as I have recovered I will be back to my full time job, back on my Treadmill, keeping my weight down and find me a new man !   I kicked my previous guy to the curb after Valentine's day, he just wasn't right for me.  I'm a grandma with a new grandbaby on the way but I'm still young at heart and mind. Keep it going girl ! 

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you know when...

[ Edited ]
I've always lived by this motto "'Old' is always 10 years older than whatever your age is now." That way, l'll never think l'm old!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

I don't think I will ever move into Little old lady mode.  I still think, inside my head anyway, that I am in my thirties.  I know, I am 61 years old, but I just don't feel like it.  

However, the other day, I asked my husband to take a headshot for me to post on my Facebook page.  Well they all looked so horrible. I look so old in those pictures that I hated all of them.  When I look in the mirror, that is not what I see.  But the camera does not lie!!! So I just won't worry about it.

So like the old saying goes, you are only as old as you feel.  And today I feel like I am 32 years old. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know that there are unspoken rules as to when one should begin "little old lady" mode.

I think some people were just born old. Others, I think they gradually adopt velcro tennis shoes and buy a pair of blu blockers and head for the buffet and vacation destinations AARP tells them to.

I've always done my own thing, my own way. I don't see it changing anytime, soon. Or before I die, even.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it will ever be time for me to shift into "little old lady" mode.  I'm sure a lot of people might consider me that now, but I'm average size,  not "little" and so far I'm not shrinking!  I do have silver white hair, but I wear it in a fashionable style.  I can see the signs of aging, and sometimes I think when I look closely that I'm becoming an "old lady" and maybe I am already in the eyes of most of society.

That said, I will always think that age is only a number.  There are some things we can't prevent, but there are other things we can do to keep ourselves young for a very long time, if our health holds out.  I go to the grocery store sometimes on Sr Citizens discount day without thinking about it, and then wonder why there are so many elderly people in the store. Then I realize that I guess I'm one of them!

I hope to always dress fashionably, although comfort is more of a consideraton now, and I think that you can achieve both.  It's in your attitude, how you were raised, how you think, what you've done with your life, who you associate with... there are so many influences.  

I'm not even sure what "little old lady" means... everyone dresses and acts the way that feels most comfortable to them, but I personally don't think that particular phrase is at all complimentary to older women.  So I will just continue to be me, with my attitude that "you're not getting older, you're getting better", and realize that I've earned every wrinkle and every inch of sagging skin (and I can definitely see some).  I will dress in my cute tops, wedge sandals and capris in the summer, and in my jeans, jackets and boots in the winter, drive my red sports car, and if someone wants to consider me a "little old lady", so be it.  I know who I am... Happy smiley animated emoticon