Honored Contributor

I think I might be slowly shifting into a little old lady.  I am only in my early 50s, but I have had a ton of medical and health issues all my life.  I feel like my body is struggling to keep up with my demanding job and other activties. 

The one deliberate change I am making that makes me think I am becoming a little old lady is getting rid of all my high heels. I just can't wear them anymore without pain and discomfort.  When I see a low heeled comfort shoe it just screams "old" to me. I do like and own ballet flats but there are times when I want a heel.  I am trying to find stylish wedge replacements so I can still have the height but with more stability and comfort so I haven't given up yet. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I think I might be slowly shifting into a little old lady.  I am only in my early 50s, but I have had a ton of medical and health issues all my life.  I feel like my body is struggling to keep up with my demanding job and other activties. 

The one deliberate change I am making that makes me think I am becoming a little old lady is getting rid of all my high heels. I just can't wear them anymore without pain and discomfort.  When I see a low heeled comfort shoe it just screams "old" to me. I do like and own ballet flats but there are times when I want a heel.  I am trying to find stylish wedge replacements so I can still have the height but with more stability and comfort so I haven't given up yet. 

Oh Wilma, first off I am sorry for your physical struggles through the years.  I have been blessed with pretty good health so my heart goes out to you and those that haven't been as lucky.

But I do miss my high heels . . . very much.  I used to think nothing of prancing around in those things and now I have to look for something with good support as I have issues with my left foot . . . I SO miss all those gorgeous shoes!

Super Contributor

I think it just slowly evolves. It is also different from person to person. I have one old high school friend who was a huge fashion diva back then. She was in her 40's when she started dressing frumpy and got one of those tight curly perms like Mama on the Carol Burnette show.

My mother is almost 91 and still dresses like a fashion model and has her hair done twice a week in an elegant pixie style.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Trusted Contributor

I will grow old naturally and gracefully but I will never allow myself to be "Old"!Woman Wink

Contributor

How will I know? I'll know when I'm dead. There's no reason to be frumpy. My mother died at 94, and she was always dressed beautifully. I'm a lot like my mother. Fashion doesn't have to be expensive, and I don't dress like a teenager, but I enjoy looking good. Also, age shouldn't make you grumpy. I'm 67, and was 3 hours from death in 2006 (septic appendix) so I look upon age as a joy, because I'm still here. Celebrate life!

Occasional Contributor

Kittymom, I just wanted to say that you write beautifully.  I enjoy reading your posts.

Esteemed Contributor

QumquatMay wrote:

Kittymom, I just wanted to say that you write beautifully.  I enjoy reading your posts.

Thank you so much for saying that!  It really means a lot to me... sometimes I think I get too "wordy" and say too much, but that's just me! Thanks Sign emoticon

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you know when...

[ Edited ]

@Madisson wrote:

I think it just slowly evolves. It is also different from person to person. I have one old high school friend who was a huge fashion diva back then. She was in her 40's when she started dressing frumpy and got one of those tight curly perms like Mama on the Carol Burnette show.

My mother is almost 91 and still dresses like a fashion model and has her hair done twice a week in an elegant pixie style.

@Madisson, your reference to Mama on the Carol Burnette show made me laugh.  I have natural curly hair and wanted to cut it short several years ago.  My hairdresser talked me out of it saying I would look like a little old lady with a perm.  There are days I would still like to cut it short but I hear his words in my head.  

Valued Contributor

I think a lot of us have aspects of both "old" and "young" in us.  I find myself becoming more of a curmudgeon lately.  The whole "I'm a star.  I'm important.  I have to be on my phone 24/7.  Look what I ate for dinner." etc. etc. etc. that we get from social media makes me grit my teeth and roll my eyes! However I certainly don't see myself as "old" - I'm only about 30 (Ha Ha!)

I also think a lot of how we appear to others is a byproduct of our own attitudes about style.  You either put effort into your appearance, or you don't.  There are people of all ages who don't care about fashion, don't wear makeup, don't do anything with their hair, etc.  (I'm not criticizing or saying there's anything wrong with that, it's just how people are.)  I think those of us that like fashion, and do work at keeping up our appearance are likely to just innately keep doing it until a major health issue makes certain things impossible.  If you like jeans, or cute tops, you naturally just keep seeking them out.  You may have to change brands to better fit your body shape, but I don't think you completely throw in the towel, because you still like what you like.

I was unfortunate enough to start getting gray hairs when I was 22, so I have bee coloring for 3 decades now.  As tired as I am of having to do it, I really don't see myself giving it up anytime soon - at least couple more decades!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Respected Contributor

I don't know either, but I notice I am treated that way now by other people.

Something must have happened along the away that's for sure, as I am only77. LOL

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".