Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you get rid of hiccups?

You've swallowed air. You have to displace it with liquid. Here is a foolproof method:

Take a huge breath of air, then hold your breath and drink a glass of water by tiny little swallows, as slowly as you can.......the water will displace the air in your stomach.

Has never failed me yet.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

As soon as I think they've stopped, they come back. I've been drinking water in hopes that I'd drown them but not so.

I've never found ONE way that always works and sometimes nothing works. I worked with a guy who had the hiccups for over two weeks and it was awful. He had to go to the doctor, had a lot of tests run, and was on muscle relaxants to help with it. I felt badly for him and he was miserable.

Here's what usually works for me:

Hanging upside down: I figured this one out when I worked at a preschool with monkey bars in the playground, so I could really hang upside down. Since I don't have that anymore, I lay on my back across a chair or off the side of a bed so my head is lower than my abdomen. I don't know why this works, but I think the stretch may help. Sometimes I hold my breath or breath slowly and count to 10 while I do it. That usually works, but not always.

Change my breathing: I used to take singing lessons and I noticed when I was younger that some of my respiratory issues bothered me less while I was singing. (Others bothered me more, so it just depends.) I know from all my lessons that I breathe differently while I sing. Sometimes singing and adjusting the way I breathe helps me get over the hiccups.

But like I said, no one thing works all the time and we all seem to have different things that work for us. Tha variety of what works or doesn't work makes me think a lot of the "cures" (drinking water upside down, sugar, pickle juice, the two I mentioned, etc.) are coincidence or in our heads.

Honored Contributor

Ugh, I feel your pain.  I get hiccups every day.  Usually, I can get rid of it by holding my breath as long as possible.   Sometimes it takes more than once.

The only other solution I know is to eat a teaspoon of sugar.  Now, clearly, most of us wouldn't want to do that (it's pretty vile), but it has been know to work UNLESS it's hiccups caused when you're drinking alcohol.   Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Take 14 small sips of water without stopping or taking a breath.

However, if you are having hiccups frequently I'd follow the advice given upthread and see a doctor.  It can indicate a more serious condition that should be treated.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

The first is to bend over from the waist and drink from the back side of the glass.  

This works for me, too. Every time.

Works for me too.  Kind of awkward to do, but it does work.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

As soon as I think they've stopped, they come back. I've been drinking water in hopes that I'd drown them but not so.

Vinegar always works for me. Not sure if it works or if it scares themWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

There is yoga way. Bend over and while being in this position try to drink water from the opposite rim of glass. It is challenging but works 100%. It changes your diaphragm position.

good luck!

Honored Contributor

Thank you one and all, they are gone!

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

What did you have last night for dinner?  Yesterday for lunch? Breakfast? 

When end one of our students got hiccups one of the teachers would ask toes q's and it never failed! By the breakfast answer they were gone!

Two questions:  What is end one and what are toes q's?  I am from an older generation and not in the know sotospeak.