Esteemed Contributor

How do I stop those Telemarketers

For the last several months, I've been getting at least 3 to 7 SCAM calls a day. I googled the number that calls the most - and it was a company calling seniors about knee braces - thru Medicare. I get many other calls with different phone numbers. All show the same area code as mine.

I have a landline phone and don't think I'm able to block any phone numbers.

Any suggestions???

The other morning, the phone rang after 6AM and 2 days later, 8AM --- I was sleeping.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do I stop those Telemarketers

Law went into effect regarding ROBO calls.  I dont know what good it will do.  Because you have to catch the robo calls.  How do you do that?  Robo calls never call from a correct number.

Respected Contributor

We have a landline and are able to block calls. Our phone doesn't ring if the number is in our blocked calls list.

Maybe it would be worth it for you to upgrade your phone to a model that can block calls.

Other than that, if you have caller i.d, don't answer unrecognized numbers. If it's important, they will leave a message.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

We have a landline and are able to block calls. Our phone doesn't ring if the number is in our blocked calls list.

Maybe it would be worth it for you to upgrade your phone to a model that can block calls.

Other than that, if you have caller i.d, don't answer unrecognized numbers. If it's important, they will leave a message.

Shoekitty

i have land line with call block.  Telemarketers have several numbers they all from.  They change their numbers daily.  They are aware of call block.  I get fewer calls, but most change their number after a few daysand start in again

Contributor

I complained to my phone company about those annoying calls a few years ago. I was told that many of these calls from foreign countries. Some actually mask their number of origin by temporarily pirating unsuspecting citizens' numbers and using them to appear on your caller ID as the incoming call.

The actual owner of that phone number would have no awareness that their number is being used.

My phone company claimed that they cannot control this unwanted call traffic. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah There have been several discussions regarding the scam calls.  The best I can do is to have no emotional investment or time dedicated to these calls.  I keep the landline on silent so I don't hear the call.  You can choose to keep your answer machine on or not, while silent ring is on.  For those that know me, they have my cell number and I have their number in my contacts.  If someone calls my cell and the number isn't in my contacts, it is automatically blocked.  I don't give these calls any thought except to put the numbers that called my landline on block at the end of the day, if I want.

Most critical, don't answer or return any of these calls or they will just increase.  All of us are dealing with this and I believe the best way is to find your way to ignore and not respond.  I haven't done the research, but I understand there is current legislation addressing this issue.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm signed up with Nomorobo. I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the caller. I still get about 4 crazy calls a day.It doesn't help to block them because they call from different numbers all the time!!

Honored Contributor

If you have caller Id on the phone and can catch any unknown number when it rings, lift the receiver and hang up on it.  Works wonders on my landline and cell.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your phone doesn't have the ability to block calls, go get a new phone that will.  Next, stop answering the phone.  If the call is someone you know, or important, they will leave a message.  With the political arena heating up, calls will increase I fear.  Take steps to protect yourself. When you get a call, and no message is left, block the number, and delete it.  This method has worked well for me, so far anyway.

Respected Contributor

Our landline phone rings all day long.  I have filled the blocked caller list, I cannot add another number.  I've signed up on Do Not Call, but that was just done so it takes several weeks to take effect.  To keep the phone from constantly ringing I hit the "talk" button and leave the line open.  Our children have been told to call our cell phones if they need us.  So, annoying!