Honored Contributor

Re: How do I stop those Telemarketers

Some days I get over a dozen calls on our landline. I'd become a single issue voter and vote for anyone who would ban these calls as part of their platform!

Esteemed Contributor

I never answer calls from numbers or names that I do not recognize.  I get from five to ten calls a week on my land line.

My voice mail message is not a 'nice' message - basically "leave a message or your number will be immediately blocked. This is your one and only chance to talk to someone at this number. No message - immediate block" I rarely get a message!!!  My DD keeps telling me that there is no live person on these calls, but I still want my message heard.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been letting the calls go on my answering machine - and the scam calls increased. I googled one of the scam numbers and it was from a company that sells Knee Braces to seniors on Medicare.

Today I received 2 calls (quiet day - but it's only 3:15 pm in Calif. I picked up the receiver and held it so I could hear the 2 clicks - then I hung up. This suggestion was made on this site yesterday. Hoping the calls stop soon.

Respected Contributor

Signed up for free Nomorobo für landline. Drastic improvement. We were gettting call after call that we would not pick up. After getting called by our own number more than 10 times in one day, I got desperate. This has helped so much!!!!
Honored Contributor

Sometimes l’m in the mood to mess with them. I play along with their scam for a while, and just when they think they have an easy mark, l blow a whistle into their ear and hang up. Woman LOL

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

My brother told us about Nomorobo. It calmed things down. Still there are ones that get thru. They are usually anonymous. We do not answer numbers we do not know and know it is spam or the like when they do not leave a message.

Respected Contributor

Supposedly, the government is going to "fix" the "RoboCall" problem like it fixes all other problems.  Remember the "Do Not Call" List?  How did that work out?

When we had a land line, we had an answering machine that took all calls.  We only intervened when we knew who was calling.  We've ditched the land line and gone to cell-phone only.  We get fewer "nuisance" calls for the time being.  We'll see what the future holds.

Occasional Contributor

It's   a terrible   isssue I had to call my Police Dept  twice they were  starting to be harassing and thinking they were from Medicare  and they are not I called the official  Medicare Office and they won't leave you alone till you say yes and then they said they would continue to call   us and thye did .. I called my  phone Co and they told me to use  a call blocking  number   call your local  phone provider and let them know the situation they should help    ...  they will  the scammers  keep cahnging thier numbers I now  have a list and I also   Emailed the FTC  

Good Luck