Honored Contributor

Re: How Much To Tip Junk Removers

@walkingal We moved from Canada to USA and we had the packing done as well.I did have a whole house and garage full to be moved but I agree the price is crazy.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

If they are working hard I provide drinks and pizza or sub sandwiches for them if they are going to be there for a number of hours. 

The other thing is, can't you put large colored stickers on all the boxes for what you what removed and what you want to stay (like red for stay, green to go) instead of standing out there the whole time? Just a suggestion!

@HappyDaze  I would have separated the boxes if I could get to them.  They're just piled in the garage, and I can't get through the mess.  That's why I'm having the junk removers come.  I will never let it get this way again.  Inside my house there is nothing out of place, but some of my closets and the garage are a mess.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'd supply them with cold bottled water, but that's it.

The "tip" is in what they'll get by selling the stuff you think of as "junk." 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I'd supply them with cold bottled water, but that's it.

The "tip" is in what they'll get by selling the stuff you think of as "junk." 

That's an excellent point @noodleann.  I'm sure they will sell some of it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why do you have to tip them anything? It's their job to remove it and you are paying for it aren't you? That price should include the cost of dumping it as well. It's not as if you're tipping a hair stylist for being talented in designing hair and always making you look good. It's not rocket science either.  Nobody ever tipped me for being a good teacher. I assumed it was my duty to do the best possible to educate my students. There are certainly no huge monetary rewards in that field. Satisfaction in a job well done is the reward when you see students come back to say hi and are productive, successful members of society. As for low paid waiters and waitresses, some go out of their way to give good service beyond expectations; some don't. Those who go beyond deserve a tip; otherwise, you are subsidizing their employers. And by the way, I haul my own junk to the dump or donate things of value that I don't want to Salvation Army.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Why do you have to tip them anything? It's their job to remove it and you are paying for it aren't you? That price should include the cost of dumping it as well. It's not as if you're tipping a hair stylist for being talented in designing hair and always making you look good. It's not rocket science either.  Nobody ever tipped me for being a good teacher. I assumed it was my duty to do the best possible to educate my students. There are certainly no huge monetary rewards in that field. Satisfaction in a job well done is the reward when you see students come back to say hi and are productive, successful members of society. As for low paid waiters and waitresses, some go out of their way to give good service beyond expectations; some don't. Those who go beyond deserve a tip; otherwise, you are subsidizing their employers. And by the way, I haul my own junk to the dump or donate things of value that I don't want to Salvation Army.

@RainCityWoman   I have never called anyone to pick up anything for me except AmVets one time when I donated a couch.  Every other time I have taken my donations in myself, although they will come and pick it up if asked.  I have never had anyone haul my junk away before either.  I kept thinking I would clean it out myself, but it has just gotten beyond that.  As I've said repeatedly on this thread I will never let it get like this again.  The inside of my house is in perfect order.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The way I see it, many of these people are earning minimum wage or just above it.  Would I want to be paid $8 in hot weather to clean out someone's dusty, dirty garage and carry heavy, oversized items to a truck?

They are probably sick of pizza, sandwiches and fast food.  If I can tip them and they can earn a living wage that way, the that's what I'll do.  

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

The way I see it, many of these people are earning minimum wage or just above it.  Would I want to be paid $8 in hot weather to clean out someone's dusty, dirty garage and carry heavy, oversized items to a truck?

They are probably sick of pizza, sandwiches and fast food.  If I can tip them and they can earn a living wage that way, the that's what I'll do.  

this is exactly how i feel @lolakimono.

i also usually tell people to tip if they want to, dont tip if you dont want to. it really is that simple. no one should question WHY i want to give a tip to someone doing a certain job.

to the person (sorry,forgot the posters name) who said you like tipping your hairdresser because she makes you look good, then think of the OP and her wanting her garage to "look good" and more organized......and that may be a one time event. she wont have to do it once a monthly.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman

as a teacher, no one ever gave you a gift or a gift card? that could easily be considered "a tip" in a way.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I hired two teen age boys that had their own little business. What they quoted to remove a Rubbermaid shed that was in pieces, and some odd and ends in the garage was ten dollars ! I paid them thirty. They were perfect gentlemen and very professional. I was grateful and impressed. I would say go with your gutt at the time.

@Azcowgirl@NickNack

I can see tipping those teenagers.  I don't be;ieve in tipping someone just doing their job. unless they go above and beyond normal expectations.