@RainCityWoman wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Why do you have to tip them anything? It's their job to remove it and you are paying for it aren't you? That price should include the cost of dumping it as well. It's not as if you're tipping a hair stylist for being talented in designing hair and always making you look good. It's not rocket science either.  Nobody ever tipped me for being a good teacher. I assumed it was my duty to do the best possible to educate my students. There are certainly no huge monetary rewards in that field. Satisfaction in a job well done is the reward when you see students come back to say hi and are productive, successful members of society. As for low paid waiters and waitresses, some go out of their way to give good service beyond expectations; some don't. Those who go beyond deserve a tip; otherwise, you are subsidizing their employers. And by the way, I haul my own junk to the dump or donate things of value that I don't want to Salvation Army.

@RainCityWoman

as a teacher, no one ever gave you a gift or a gift card? that could easily be considered "a tip" in a way.

I already pointed out what a "tip" is to a teacher. It's when a student comes back to visit and he or she is a successful member of society. That's a reward in itself. And of course, letters and notes of appreciation are always important. Or watching a student with very ffew skills develop and grow in skills and understanding...that's a reward.  However, we were talking monetary tips and I gave my own job as a hypothetical example. 

many teachers receive gift cards and they are very well deserved......i do consider that  " a tip," but if you dont that is fine.

i worked in a demographic many of whom often couldn't put food on their own tables. I never got gift cards, nor did I expect any. We instituted a breakfast program so that kids didn't come to school on empty stomachs. Our free and reduced lunch program served 40% of the school population. My basic point of this whole conversation is that I don't understand the concept of tipping people for doing the job they are supposed to do. 

@RainCityWoman

Do you tip at restaurants?

i don't go out to eat that often. Most recently my friends and I celebrated our birthdays at a nice restaurant, and the waitress went out of her way to cater to our every need and then some. When my two friends were disappointed with their selection, she got the charge taken off their bill. She offered to get them something else, but they declined and ate their bread and salad instead.  She brought us all free birthday dessert, and did every else she could to make our dining experience a great one, even telling us to take our time and enjoy ourselves. Did I tip her?  Yes, I did. So did the other two people.

So the answer is no, you don't usually tip at restaurants. 

I don't eat out often either, but I always tip.  The only time I wouldn't is if the service was terrible.  I know what it's like to be a waitress.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Much To Tip Junk Removers

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Why do you have to tip them anything? It's their job to remove it and you are paying for it aren't you? That price should include the cost of dumping it as well. It's not as if you're tipping a hair stylist for being talented in designing hair and always making you look good. It's not rocket science either.  Nobody ever tipped me for being a good teacher. I assumed it was my duty to do the best possible to educate my students. There are certainly no huge monetary rewards in that field. Satisfaction in a job well done is the reward when you see students come back to say hi and are productive, successful members of society. As for low paid waiters and waitresses, some go out of their way to give good service beyond expectations; some don't. Those who go beyond deserve a tip; otherwise, you are subsidizing their employers. And by the way, I haul my own junk to the dump or donate things of value that I don't want to Salvation Army.

@RainCityWoman

as a teacher, no one ever gave you a gift or a gift card? that could easily be considered "a tip" in a way.

I already pointed out what a "tip" is to a teacher. It's when a student comes back to visit and he or she is a successful member of society. That's a reward in itself. And of course, letters and notes of appreciation are always important. Or watching a student with very ffew skills develop and grow in skills and understanding...that's a reward.  However, we were talking monetary tips and I gave my own job as a hypothetical example. 

many teachers receive gift cards and they are very well deserved......i do consider that  " a tip," but if you dont that is fine.

i worked in a demographic many of whom often couldn't put food on their own tables. I never got gift cards, nor did I expect any. We instituted a breakfast program so that kids didn't come to school on empty stomachs. Our free and reduced lunch program served 40% of the school population. My basic point of this whole conversation is that I don't understand the concept of tipping people for doing the job they are supposed to do. 

@RainCityWoman

Do you tip at restaurants?

i don't go out to eat that often. Most recently my friends and I celebrated our birthdays at a nice restaurant, and the waitress went out of her way to cater to our every need and then some. When my two friends were disappointed with their selection, she got the charge taken off their bill. She offered to get them something else, but they declined and ate their bread and salad instead.  She brought us all free birthday dessert, and did every else she could to make our dining experience a great one, even telling us to take our time and enjoy ourselves. Did I tip her?  Yes, I did. So did the other two people.

So the answer is no, you don't usually tip at restaurants. 

I don't eat out often either, but I always tip.  The only time I wouldn't is if the service was terrible.  I know what it's like to be a waitress.

Often when my friends and i DO go somewhere to eat, it's more of a Deli style where there really isn't a waitress to tip.