Trusted Contributor

Re: How Much To Tip Junk Removers

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree  I agree with you... This tipping everyone has gotten out of control.   Chrystal I'm from MA too.   Western part.  Home of the Big E..

Honored Contributor

in our garage today the temperature was reading 95......there is no way i would NOT tip them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

When I was downsizing my dad's house, I hired a local father and son junk removers.

The house was under 1,000 square feet, and they seperated the stuff in to what was junk and going to the dump, (we had to pay for any haz-mat disposal fees such as old cans of paint, bug sprays, etc) what they could donate, and what they could sell in their little store.

They also cleaned out the two-car garage.

They were there for about three to four hours.

I forget how much they charged.

I did not tip them, but I did give them bottles of water.

Honored Contributor

I hire kids from the neighborhood to mow lawn and pay 20.00 but no tip.They love the job and all want me to hire them.

Honored Contributor

If they are working hard I provide drinks and pizza or sub sandwiches for them if they are going to be there for a number of hours. 

The other thing is, can't you put large colored stickers on all the boxes for what you what removed and what you want to stay (like red for stay, green to go) instead of standing out there the whole time? Just a suggestion!

Respected Contributor

I dont get this whole tip mentality.  You hire somebody to do a job.  You pay them what they ask.  Seems to me that is the end of story.  I wouldnt tip these guys anything.  

Honored Contributor

I've used theses services many times. For routine pickups, I give each guy $10.  They always send two, so that's $20.

in the past, I had some very heavy items to pick up (exercise equipment and some heavy gardening equipment). I gave them a bit more each of these times. 

Keep in mind that that even though the service charges you what you think is a hefty fee...that doesn't mean the guys who do the heavy lifting are well paid.  

Esteemed Contributor

I plan to call a "junk remover" in the next week or two.  He works for himself.  I don't plan to tip him...unless he does something helpful in addition to removing the junk...which is what I will be paying him for in the first place.

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@dex Did you say 20 thousand dollars?  What size house do you have!  lol!