Honored Contributor

How Much Does It Cost to Go to a Movie Now?

I haven't been to a movie in years.  So I am curious about what it costs now for a ticket, snacks, drinks.  I also wonder if where we live affects the price a lot.

Anyway, if you are willing to share that would be fun. And informative for me!  

Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Does It Cost to Go to a Movie Now?

Depends on the region where you live.  In my neck of the woods......

Every Wednesday is Senior Day - $5

Children popcorn/soda/candy/cookie package - $5

=================================

A group of us go to the multiplex theaters w/20-25 screens.   For $5 we get to see approximately 2-3 movies in one afternoon/evening.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I am in WV.   My husband and teacher daughter went to a popular release movie last month at a chain cinema on Saturday afternoon; tickets cost $25 and the drink and popcorn deal they purchased was $12.   

Esteemed Contributor

I don't frequently go to movies, but the last one about a month ago was $12.50 for an evening showing.  I think that was the senior discount price.

I don't buy any of their snacks so I don't know what those priced are.

Honored Contributor

I knew a guy that managed a theater complex. He said they made no money off the film, and what keeps them going is the food , and drink, and snacks. that is where the money is...

Esteemed Contributor

We have one movie theater in our area.  The rest have closed long ago.  And someone is trying to revive our mall, closed for over 20 years with another  movie theater.  I am not a movie theater kind of gal.  I have other resources online and on cable if I want to see anything which is next to never anyway.  I think the era has long passed.  So expensive and popcorn in our area is the priice of a dinner.  Just in case you are wondering I am in Maryland on the WV border.  

Esteemed Contributor

The last time I went they had the volume so loud in the theater that I will never go again . For the most part the fee is pretty expensive. Now, Direct TV is charging $5.99 for each movie for 2 day viewing. It used to be $3.99 for 3 days,  some movies are even more expensive.  Everyone is tacking on more fees. I'll just wait till it's on TV...

Esteemed Contributor

Here where we live in PA its $8.49 at the main theatre with brand new reclining seats, and they also have $5 Tuesdays. (They used to have $5 mornings, even on weekends, but they just got rid of morning movies). However that theatres popcorn, sodas etc are a rip off so we never get snacks there lol Then we have another theatre in the next small town over and those movies are $5 all the time. But the seats in the old theatre are regular seats. However, there at the small town theatre we get snacks ( popcorn is $1.50 and $2.50 and small sodas only $1). PS DH and I go to movies almost every week, year round. Today we went to see the Joker when DH was done working.. Last week we saw Judy. We usually go on Sundays though. Today was an exception.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Where I live, most of the current films for prime time cost$12.50 for all ages.

i never buy the refreshments, so I have no idea what that cost is.

Respected Contributor

The closest theater to my house has $5 Tuesdays.  Another one is $8 for the senior matinee everyday.