Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Use Your Cell?

I have only the most basic kind of cell phone. I'm lucky if I make/get one call a day on it. It's in my purse most of the time (but it's still turned on).

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

definitely a learning curve. i have had a smart phone now for maybe 5 or 6 years or so. i was lucky because i had three teenagers that i could run to to get helpand they did.....they still do sometimes. Smiley Wink. anytime i needed help the att store was just around the corner. you kind of just have to jump in and start with the basics. have someone help you set up your email, social media (if you have any), transfer contact lists, and start choosing some fun apps to use.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Reading the news, placing calls and text messages.  I could use it for shopping and bill pay as I have excellent anti virus protection plus the latest version of android software in my new phone, but I prefer not to.   I guess if my laptop went on the fritz but I'd probably buy another laptop.   I've always wanted an Ipad which is why I haven't bought a tablet yet. I think I'll eventually buy an Ipad, some of those other tablets are so tempting though.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

How much do you use your cell?  Just for calls?  To buy things?  Does it take the place of a computer?  Tablet? Calculator?  

@ECBG

How much? Been at least 6-8 months since I have even turned it on, and that was only to check the battery charge, and it needed charging. Strange since it was not ever turned on during that time.

Just for calls? Nope, it's main use was for "cell phone time". Rented ice time for my adult hockey league and they charged by the hour based on cell phone time. It was about $3.65 per minute of ice time and I did not want to run over allotted and pre-paid time.

Buy things? Nope. Take the place of other of other devices? No.  That is why I choose TracFone.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Very rarely use mine for calls or texts except for emergencies. I have a landline so anyone needing to reach me can call and leave a message.  I do use it a lot to listen to music. I take pictures and occasionally use it to read a magazine when waiting at a doctor's office.  

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe once every month or less.

Honored Contributor

I used mine hardly ever.  I don't have a smart phone so people look at me like --- boy, is she old -- she still has a flip phone.  Well, it still works, and its cheap and it serves my needs.  Only use it when I am out on the road -- which is rare and DH wants me to call him to make sure I am o.k.  Or if I am at the store and forget what we need -- something like that.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I have a flip phone.  I only turn it on whenever I leave home or if DH is using our land line and I need to call someone. I do like having it with me in case I need to make a call or someone needs to get in touch with me.  I also feel better having it with me in case of car trouble.  I do text once in a great while. The only people that have my cell number are my family. People know I don't have it on when I am home and call me on my land line.     

Honored Contributor

Got rid of ours, don't miss it. Have one where you pay monthly. Covers us for winter months trips, in case of problems. We're home 95% of the time, so there's no need anymore for us to have them.

We went from 2 to 1 car too. So that's our life now.

People who use these, probably have different life styles. Big thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I personally do not own a cell phone and at this point in my life, I doubt I ever will!