Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Restrict Starch In Your Diet?

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Love ya SIDS, you always give your best....keep smashing those potatoes!

Just something to consider....where does your food come from?  How much suffering was involved to put the food on your plate?  And are you really gaining health by consuming an animal with a nervous system who experiences pain?  This is just the beginning of conscious eating and exploration to perhaps a new healthier way of life. Much love.

@phoenixbrd

Love 'ya, too my little phoenixbrd! Spud up, toots! 🥔

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I eat what I want....which happens to be what is healthy for my body.  The longer you eat nourishing whole plant based foods, the more you crave them.  Unfortunately, I've read similar posts whenever the subject of diet arises.  I love my life; and the fuel for my body allows me to be strong, healthy, kind, and compassionate.  I so respect SIDS.  She has done her homework and changed her life.  I respect those who have differing opinions as they feel they are doing what is best for themselves and their loved ones.  The book is that medical MDs receive little nutritional training in medical school.  The field of medicine and health change as we learn more.  A person can "prove" whatever they want with data.  Someone's paradigm can always be evidence based.  I usually choose not to involve myself in these discussions as I don't think it will influence anyone.  I wish everyone much health and the ability to respect differences of opinions.  I could write books on the subject, but an open, inquiring, or desperate mind is sometimes needed to facilitate change.  Wishing everyone the very best of health.  Love ya SIDS, you always give your best....keep smashing those potatoes!

Just something to consider....where does your food come from?  How much suffering was involved to put the food on your plate?  And are you really gaining health by consuming an animal with a nervous system who experiences pain?  This is just the beginning of conscious eating and exploration to perhaps a new healthier way of life. Much love.

@phoenixbrd, where does YOUR food come from?  Do you grow it naturally?  Is it full of pesticides and antibiotics?  If not, then how do you manage that?  Suffering I don't understand as it relates to sustenance.  If you mean by taking from others to give to others ~ that's a bad thing.  

Mankind has been eating MEAT for centuries.  Now all of a sudden is harmful or not morally correct to do so?  I love Pork chops and eat them from time to time.  Should I be concerned that the pig suffered before he went to slaughter?

What right do you have to tell other cultures who eat a variety of foods some of us will never know of that they should not?  Is the western way to feed the human body the "right and only way?"  What about other cultures different from ours here in the US who avail themselves of all of the living sustenance that they can because if not they would die?

Meanwhile you and others who think like you know there is a shortage of food in the world right......

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Carbs are pure poison for me. I love them all but limit them. There isn't a carb that I don't love. They're a trigger for me. I really can't eat one potato chip. So, if I don't buy them, I don't eat them.  

Esteemed Contributor

http://family.jrank.org/pages/639/Food-Food-Culture.html

The choices we make for our diets are based on a number of factors all described above.  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Our evening meal was rice with broccoli along with a baked chicken breast from Schwans.  I didn't think about it in terms of starch or carbs.  It was just food to me.

Honored Contributor

Like other diabetics, I do restrict carbs out of necessity - on the advice of my doctors, the AMA & the ADA; I'm afraid nothing else counts with me and most likely never will. Having spent 47+ years in the medical field, I don't "do" quack "miracle medicine," and it's easy for me to spot.

I don't believe in "never ever", however. That just about guarantees overeating them. I restrict carbs, I don't eliminate them. I eat lower carb, high fiber bread to make toast or a sandwich a few times a week. I eat low carb bagels. I eat potatoes, pasta, rice & potatoes - a diabetic portion, which is small - less than most people would want to eat, but I still eat it. Very little refined sugar.

Meat with no apologies, chicken, fish, shellfish, eggs, many veggies and some fruits in moderation.

By the Federal guidelines nationally accepted by most people, we shouldn't leave anything completely out of our diet in the long term. I don't. But I do restrict carbs.

I'm not in any sort of competition re who eats the healthiest, who eats unhealthily according to some, or who has "the healthiest" daily menu. I'm not a Healthier Than Thou person :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm. What is Ezekiel? 

Trusted Contributor

I eat what what I want when I want it. Of course I have no weight or health problems.

Remember a few years back, eggs where poison? 

Over the years people to not do as much physical work as our elders did. So many have had to change their eating habits. 

These "EXPERT" studies are often funded by those with for profit agendas. 

In the end we all end up in a body bag. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't - for health reasons, I eat whole grain ones.

Respected Contributor

for those of you who gave up sugar, would you mind sharing how you did it? I have tried a few times and failed miserably. I know that days when I eat too many carbs/sugar I don't feel well TIA