Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Restrict Starch In Your Diet?

The diabetes thread in wellness, is filled with ADA information. It gives people ideas about coping with this disease, no one is making one red penny off the information being given

The people that post on it are not quacks, trying to sell books. They are people who have the misfortune to have diabetes and are giving solid advice for free. They aren't preying on people to feather their nest

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Dr Gundry states that potatoes contain lectins and that if you have a sensitivity to them it can cause rheumatoid arthritis as well as leaky gut syndrome.  Beans, cashews also contain lectins as do seeds in tomatoes.  

An interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMtrSTInkq0

http://gundrymd.com/gundry-md/

More about lectins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqJFnw_K6I

@sidsmom  your thoughts please.  Thanx.

Hey, @truffle!

Thank you for this conversation.

These videos were a pinch long for me, but I did poke around in his professional website.   

- He's from Nebraska...like a good mid-western boy!

- He's a very nice looking man..easy on the eyes, like Dr. Garth Davis!

- Kinda/sorta odd to have a skincare line, as well as being a cardiologist, but I'm open to the idea.

- His Diet Evolution is, unfortunately, a different incarnation of the Atkins, low carb diet.  

Rheumatoid Arthritis does not respond well with food items causing lots of inflammation...and animal products/byproducts, fats, processed foods are very inflammatory.  A healthy gut microbiome is so important...and takes time to heal.  Beans, potatoes are famously recommended for building of good gut health...but so do lentils & sweet potatoes...so many other starches to choose from.   Many times, people will adopt a low fat plant based diet & in the beginning, they feel worse than ever & revert back to their former inflammatory diet w/out giving it a chance...they feel worse since uric acids are breaking down, causing RA pain.   Bottom line...several of the foods you mentioned might cause issues in the beginning, but in time, when the body has calmed down & is in a more alkaline state, that's when people become pain free.  

I know of many personal friends who have changed their diet to a low fat, whole foods, plantbased way of eating...and it changed their life for the better.  I can give you mountains of studies, links, websites, YouTube videos, all the acedemia to satisfy the most doubtful, but hearing the results for an actual person is the best thing I know.  It works for us...and everyone else, if given a chance.  This way of eating has sooooo many success stories...people getting healthy & eliminating their medication...what could be better? 

Respected Contributor

A little common sense goes a long way, this is not a one size fits  all situation. 

Honored Contributor

I have to really watch myself because I am a carbaholic.  I would eat bread and a salad for lunch and dinner if I let myself.  And I'm not talking one piece of bread either. 

I love any kind of regular pasta, but not that whole wheat stuff and I also detest whole grain breads as well.  I'd rather never have bread again than eat whole wheat.      

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

80% of my diet is starches. 

Potatoes, rice, corn, oats, wheat.

Why would someone restrict the most

important nutrient which fuels your body? 

@sidsmom,many people have to forego these food categories for health reasons.  That's why.

@itiswhatitis

....and we found the reason why people are sick.

There's no reason to eliminate starches.

Our ancestors, across the globe, have been

eating starches for zillions of years.  It's not rocket science.

People are sick due eating animal meat & byproducts 

and tons of fat & oils.  Again, it's not rocket science.

In the current issue of Martha Stewart's magazine,

she touts the benefits of starches.  I predict 10 yrs from now,

everyone will begin to realize we have to eat a low fat, plant based

diet to survive.   I just hope everyone reading this today will see

that day.  It's a cheap, ethical, healthy & sustainable way of eating. 

My DH is diabetic.  If he eats tons of starches, his blood sugar skyrockets.  I know this for a fact because we test his blood sugar a few times a day.  He cannot eat bananas because that also causes a real high in his readings.

Carbs have to be monitored closely when you are a diabetic.  But you already know that.  You just choose to ignore that fact.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

80% of my diet is starches. 

Potatoes, rice, corn, oats, wheat.

Why would someone restrict the most

important nutrient which fuels your body? 

Well, I do because potatoes, rice and oats make me gain weight and wheat destroys the villi in my small intestine.

Honored Contributor

I try.....but I do love a ryecrisp cracker.  Never eat rice, or corn products.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The diabetes thread in wellness, is filled with ADA information. It gives people ideas about coping with this disease, no one is making one red penny off the information being given

The people that post on it are not quacks, trying to sell books. They are people who have the misfortune to have diabetes and are giving solid advice for free. They aren't preying on people to feather their nest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@HeartWoman Happy @cherry

You, dear, have just hit someone's nerve!

NAES

Honored Contributor

Not at all.

Honored Contributor

I eat what I want....which happens to be what is healthy for my body.  The longer you eat nourishing whole plant based foods, the more you crave them.  Unfortunately, I've read similar posts whenever the subject of diet arises.  I love my life; and the fuel for my body allows me to be strong, healthy, kind, and compassionate.  I so respect SIDS.  She has done her homework and changed her life.  I respect those who have differing opinions as they feel they are doing what is best for themselves and their loved ones.  The book is that medical MDs receive little nutritional training in medical school.  The field of medicine and health change as we learn more.  A person can "prove" whatever they want with data.  Someone's paradigm can always be evidence based.  I usually choose not to involve myself in these discussions as I don't think it will influence anyone.  I wish everyone much health and the ability to respect differences of opinions.  I could write books on the subject, but an open, inquiring, or desperate mind is sometimes needed to facilitate change.  Wishing everyone the very best of health.  Love ya SIDS, you always give your best....keep smashing those potatoes!

Just something to consider....where does your food come from?  How much suffering was involved to put the food on your plate?  And are you really gaining health by consuming an animal with a nervous system who experiences pain?  This is just the beginning of conscious eating and exploration to perhaps a new healthier way of life. Much love.