Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Restrict Starch In Your Diet?

I don't eat white starches and made a moral choice to not eat animals. Otherwise I don't consider it a restriction.

Honored Contributor

I have celiac disease, so I don't eat anything made with wheat, rye or barley.

I like brown rice and potatoes and beans and corn and other starchy vegetables.  I eat them in moderation, or try to.

When I gain a few pounds too many, I limit my carbs to 20 a day, which is really low just until I lose the weight, then eat carbs/starches  in moderation again.

Honored Contributor

I eat 1500-1700 calories per day.  I take in 135-150 carbs per day.  There are a lot of wasted calories and carbs in starchy food.  

Honored Contributor

I restrict calories, cholesterol, bad fats, and sugars.  Because I have no food allergies, I just work within those restrictions as I choose what to eat. 

Respected Contributor

I only eat 100% whole wheat bread, 1 slice per day.

I don't care for potatoes, so no problem avoiding those.

I may have a little rice or pasta, but not as a major part of a meal.

I don't like doughnuts or pastries, so no problems there.

I do eat a lot of vegies, yogurt, and some fish and chicken.  My biggest vices are Ice cream and chocolate.......gotta have those every night!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Carbs are a very restricted part of my diet, so I try not to overindulge.

Honored Contributor

I don't think of them as starches.  I assume, OP means carbohydrates.  I don't ear bread anymore; not even whole grain breads.  I don't eat cakes and cookies and crackers and I don't eat white rice anymore.  I do eat brown rice, in moderation.  Of course, sugar is out.  I am on a meal replacement program but when I transition off and go on maintence, my diet will consist of lean proteins, fruits, vegetables and protein shakes.  I think probably wedge of cheese, like cheddar a day but I am not 100% sure of that.  Basically, that's how I have managed to lose over 50 lbs and my goal is to lose 70 and to keep it off for life.  So, carbs or "starches" are out.  Also, I will eat potatoes, just not fried and not loaded with butter, cheese or sour cream.

Esteemed Contributor

95%.....everything...........

excepton: pasta/spaghetti 1 time a month.

No salt- No sugar- No junk foods!

I'm a very health savvy food 'what do "I" eat. 

BINGO. Not difficult when you train one's mind to a learned behavior. Diabetes and obesity is at a all TIME HIGH. I never want to go there. 

NAES

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

80% of my diet is starches. 

Potatoes, rice, corn, oats, wheat.

Why would someone restrict the most

important nutrient which fuels your body? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited: The problem with simple carbohydrates is that once you start eating them, the more your body craves them.  I do eat some complex carbohydrates, but sparingly.  I eat rice maybe once a week.  I swap White potatoes for sweet potatoes, I like tri color pasta and spaghetti periodically.  (I do eat chips periodically).

I love chocolate; cheesecakes and other cakes and pies (all within reason)

I eat meat, poultry and fish.  Love fresh vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, green beans, sweet peas, cauliflower, collards and turnip greens, squash, cabbage, carrots, corn, onions, tomoatoes, avacado, etc.

I love fruit: pineapple; seasonal fruits like mangos, papaya, cherries, melons, plums, sweet nectarines, berries.

Eggs, yogurt, butter (not margerine).  I don't drink milk though.

*Call Tyrone*