Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Make Iced Tea?

I haven't made iced tea in a long time, but when I did I thought Luzianne was the best.  I didn't add sugar, but let everyone add their own sweetener to their glass of tea.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Crystal Lite

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't understand why all the sugar in tea for some folks.  It makes it taste awful and cloying.   Is it just that some people don't like the taste of tea?

(just curious)

I don't like sugar in my tea either.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

I do the cold brew method and do not boil my water.  Just use hot tap water (you can drink water from the tap in my area) and then let it sit for a few hours.  I also combine teas by using Earl Grey, Cinammon Apple, Peach and Candy Cane.   2 bags of each.  You can use any combination of teas you like.  A friend of mine does the same but she adds a fruit tea (Zinger or Lemon) to hers.  

Honored Contributor

sun tea, 

5 or 6 bags in a pitcher and let it sit

sometimes I add a chai tea bag 

Honored Contributor

Like @SurferWife, I too am a true Southerner.  I also taught tea brewing in all my foods classes because I didn't allow "soda".

At home, we now use the microwave.  I have a 5 cup Anchor Hocking  mixing bowl with a pour spout and handle.

We put in 4 cups very warm water stir in 1/2 c sugar.  Add two large Family Size tea bags Luzianne.  Microwave on high about 10-15 minutes.  Remove and cover with a large paper towel.  Brew about 20 minutes to develop the flavor.  We add about 1/3 fresh lemon as we pour it into the pitcher. Refrigerate.

I changed from Lipton tea because it has a sour note (after taste).

Also, the Mr Coffee tea machine is fantastic!   It also frees up busy major appliances.  Put ot on and forget it!

Esteemed Contributor

All in what you grew up with.  To me, tea without sugar is just colored water.  I've tried to drink it but just can't manage to.  "Sweet tea" is like Coke or Pepsi. it has to taste a certain way or it's not really "Sweet tea."  Just a Southerner's opinion!

Trusted Contributor

I learned from good southern role models and we put Lipton teabags in boiling water, take it off burner and let it "steep" for about 30 minutes or MORE. Then, the sugar! And at least a cup, depending on size of brew. It's good Y'all, but honestly I rarely make it or even order it when eating out.

Honored Contributor

the BEST iced tea/sweet tea recipe......plus add some FRESH lemon when serving. mint optional.

For the Tea

1/4 teaspoon baking soda (this helps with the tannins in the tea, helps prevent cloudiness, and keeps it smooth with less bitterness)
8 cups hot water

4 family size black tea bags (luzianne, red rose, lipton iced tea bags preferred OR 6-8 regular sized tea bags)

For the Simple Syrup

1 cup water
1cup sugar

for the simple syrup, boil the water, turn off, then add sugar and stir until disolved. cool. for the iced tea,

place boiled water in large pitcher and add the baking soda. add the tea bags and let steep for about five minutes.remove tea bags and DO NOT squeeze them. you can add the simple syrup OR you can serve it on the side for those who dont want their iced tea too sweet.

let cool and serve over ice with lemon, mint.

shot of limoncello optional. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't understand why all the sugar in tea for some folks.  It makes it taste awful and cloying.   Is it just that some people don't like the taste of tea?

(just curious)

Maybe to you it does.   But, not for the majority of ice tea drinkers.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif