Respected Contributor

Re: How Do You Handle a Friend Who Constantly Interrupts?

You only have to deal with it every couple of months.  Let it go.

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

I heard Dr. Laura's radio program last week while driving and a caller had a similar situation. Dr. Laura was pretty adamant about the fact that some people are clueless, selfish, and just don't know how to be a friend. She may be very nice, but it is difficult to be around a chronic complainer who monopolize the conversation. Dr. Laura's advice was to pretty much eliminate her from the group. Emotional victims always make the conversations about them. It's exhausting to be around, especially when you ladies are trying to enjoy lunch. You can call her out on her interrupting, but I doubt it will stop her. People like that have been talk-aholics their entire life. 

@Effie54 , I've been down that road a few times during my life.  I had a "once was a close friend" that shared an apartment with me.  This was back in the 80's.  Everything was always about her; the only good thing was that she split the bills in half each month.  If we went out to a bar for a few drinks, she was the one who always picked up the guys.  She said she was "loquacious" and that was the perfect definition of her.

I am friends with her on facebook, she lives about an hour's drive from me.  A few years ago, we invited her and husband down for a get together.  Went out and bought all of the food and at the last minute, her husband calls to say she wasn't feeling well.  Ok, fine.  We rescheduled it again and well, you guessed it - another call to cancel.  That was it for me.  

In reading her facebook page, it's still the same; it's all about her and her problems. She types everything going on in her life and wants sympathy.  It also includes trying to find a woman for each of her sons who are in their 30's.  It's pathetic.  We no longer talk as I just don't want to tie up time for all of it.

Sometimes, we have to 'cut the strings' as they say.

Honored Contributor

When I'm interrupted, I stop speaking and stare at the offender, as though in disbelief. 

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

I heard Dr. Laura's radio program last week while driving and a caller had a similar situation. Dr. Laura was pretty adamant about the fact that some people are clueless, selfish, and just don't know how to be a friend. She may be very nice, but it is difficult to be around a chronic complainer who monopolize the conversation. Dr. Laura's advice was to pretty much eliminate her from the group. Emotional victims always make the conversations about them. It's exhausting to be around, especially when you ladies are trying to enjoy lunch. You can call her out on her interrupting, but I doubt it will stop her. People like that have been talk-aholics their entire life. 

56F7FC1A-1F6E-4E0F-B1E0-9806B43034F2.jpeg

One of the other woman and I actually had this discussion after our last get together.  Neither of us have the nerve to initiate it because it would be hurtful.  This friend is really needy.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like this friend is trying too hard to be involved in this gathering.  Even with the length of your friendships, I think she feels insecure and out of place if she's the only one in the group who is divorced and single.  

Respected Contributor

My goodness have some cheese with that wine!   You are sooo incredibly blessed to still connect with and have good friends from your teens. it sounds like you don't like this freind much. sadly not everyone has a lifelong partner who has always cared for them.  some travel the road less taken by choice or by circumstance. it' s only a brunch every so often.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

When I'm interrupted, I stop speaking and stare at the offender, as though in disbelief. 

@occasionalrain , good idea and I've tried it a few times.  However, I've found sometimes it works and other it doesn't.

One time, I did and the person just kept on blabbering on.  When he stopped talking, he said "what do you think"? - I said, "is it my turn to talk now or are you going to interrupt me again".  Dead silence; could hear a pin drop.  

Of course, this is an older man who asked me what my age is and my answer was "why do you need to know".  Again, dead silence.  

Honored Contributor

Say something to her, but do it with humor and a smile, which sends the same message but allows her to save face, @JeanLouiseFinch...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

My goodness have some cheese with that wine!   You are sooo incredibly blessed to still connect with and have good friends from your teens. it sounds like you don't like this freind much. sadly not everyone has a lifelong partner who has always cared for them.  some travel the road less taken by choice or by circumstance. it' s only a brunch every so often.

@CatsyCline , This is an example of toxic positivity, it helps no one and devalues the poster and her concerns.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@HisElk1 

Nothing works every time.

I liked your response to the man, most aren't that forthright; they just endure and, in future, avoid the person if possible.