Honored Contributor

Re: How Do I Remove A Broken Lighbulb?

Maybe this is obvious, but if you can't unplug the lamp or are dealing with a permanent fixture, go down to the basement or where ever and be sure that circuit is turned off at the breaker box.

Honored Contributor

I was going to suggest a potato..it may work since it is broken off at the base
Honored Contributor

Hubby uses pliers,  I remember my dad used pliers too.  But I like the idea of using an oven mitt that someone posted earlier.  I think that's brilliant.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

A lamp with a plug poses no danger. There have been many that have broken with enough of the base to just grab it with my fingers. For others I use a long nosed pliers. 

A simple reminder: make sure it is turned "counter-clockwise", sounds simple, but it doesn't hurt to have that reminder.

hckynut

@hckynutLOL  I had to picture myself putting in a light bulb and yes-good suggestions.  You put it in clockwise and remove counter-clockwise.

Funny how sometimes we do things so automatically we don't think of how-we just "do".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

For a lamp, I just unplug it, and use needle nose pliers.  I put the pliers in closed, and then open up the pliers until the tips touch the inside of the bulb base, and twist it back out.  Works for me.  Of course, if it is a ceiling fan, etc...Make sure you flip the circuit breaker off for that room (double check).  Good luck.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@Mistic. Yep pliers. The OP had her answer right in her own first post.
Trusted Contributor

Needle nose pliers will handle the job quickly.  The potato makes a mess and I would not recommend that to anyone. 

Honored Contributor

So what did you do?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man