Respected Contributor

Re: How Could You Forget?

[ Edited ]

I still don't buy the I forgot the child in the car excuse.  How is it possible when there are rearview mirrors in the car and when in this case a woman gets out of the car she must get her purse but overlooks a one year old in the back seat.  It was obvious that this hero foster mother was only in it for the money.   If a person gets $700 a month for each child and they have four children that is an easy $2,800 a month income for the hard work of leaving a child in a car.

Esteemed Contributor

May 30, 2023

An 11-month-old baby girl has died after being left in a car for three hours while her parents attended a Florida church service, police said.

Police in Palm Bay responded Sunday around 1 p.m. to a report of an unresponsive infant in a vehicle.

"When they arrived, they learned the infant had been left in a car for approximately three hours while the parents went to the church service," the Palm Bay Police Department said in a statement.

The infant was transported to a local hospital where she was later pronounced deceased, police said Tuesday. A police department spokesperson did not have the time of death available.

No arrests have been made in the case at this time and the investigation is ongoing, police said.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

There, but for the grace of God, go I. We are all human and fallible. All of us, no matter how hard you want to pretend it couldn't happen to you, you wouldn't let it happen to you. It can.

Trusted Contributor

@SamBrown wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Foster parents receive a little more than a dollar an hour. About $700 a month. Nobody is making "good money" taking in foster kids. People who open their lives to someone else's kids are heroes, imo.

No judgement on the hot car situation. It's a horrifying accident. What nightmares are made of.

@Lakelife62  "heroes".....or abusers.  Lot of that going on in foster homes.

My oldest is a social worker for the state we live in. The state uses private agencies to administer the programs and I've heard nothing but good reports. The horrors I've heard about are kids lost in the system after reunification with bio parents. The majority of foster parents are in it to help children. They are often the only family the child will have through out their lives. They get all my respect. I couldn't do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:

@SamBrown wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Foster parents receive a little more than a dollar an hour. About $700 a month. Nobody is making "good money" taking in foster kids. People who open their lives to someone else's kids are heroes, imo.

No judgement on the hot car situation. It's a horrifying accident. What nightmares are made of.

My oldest is a social worker for the state we live in. The state uses private agencies to administer the programs and I've heard nothing but good reports. The horrors I've heard about are kids lost in the system after reunification with bio parents. The majority of foster parents are in it to help children. They are often the only family the child will have through out their lives. They get all my respect. I couldn't do it.

Do you think you are going to hear about bad reports? Of couse, they emphasize the good. If you have watched any news, you hear of foster children being abused. We have the good ,the bad and the indifferent. I think social work is an honorable profession and does many good deeds but sometimes things fall through the crack. Children are at the mercy of foster homes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

May 30, 2023

An 11-month-old baby girl has died after being left in a car for three hours while her parents attended a Florida church service, police said.

Police in Palm Bay responded Sunday around 1 p.m. to a report of an unresponsive infant in a vehicle.

"When they arrived, they learned the infant had been left in a car for approximately three hours while the parents went to the church service," the Palm Bay Police Department said in a statement.

The infant was transported to a local hospital where she was later pronounced deceased, police said Tuesday. A police department spokesperson did not have the time of death available.

No arrests have been made in the case at this time and the investigation is ongoing, police said.

I read about that tragedy and thought this was done intentionally. These people are attending church while their child is dying in the car!!! Is this not sacrilegious?? What is to investigate? Their lack of being a human. Makes one wonder if these people have had a lobotomy. My heart goes out to that child that suffered needlessly.

Trusted Contributor

@elated wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

@SamBrown wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Do you think you are going to hear about bad reports? Of couse, they emphasize the good. If you have watched any news, you hear of foster children being abused. We have the good ,the bad and the indifferent. I think social work is an honorable profession and does many good deeds but sometimes things fall through the crack. Children are at the mercy of foster homes. 

Yes. I have heard the bad. My daughter is a social worker and visits foster kids in their homes. While the few cases of abuse make the news, the day to day loving care provided by adults for someone else's kids never does. May was National Foster Care Month, btw.

Honored Contributor

People used to have their babies in the front passenger  seat and weren't forgotten.

This epidemic of forgotten babies has been since laws require them to be secured in the back seat, out of sight, and apparently, out of mind.

In an accident, a child is safer secured in the back seat, but how many babies died in accidents during a six month period before the law that put them in the back seat?

Honored Contributor

Sad. And I don't understand. I just don't believe anyone could be that "distracted," and I think whoever is driving should face consequences.