Trusted Contributor

Foster parents receive a little more than a dollar an hour. About $700 a month. Nobody is making "good money" taking in foster kids. People who open their lives to someone else's kids are heroes, imo.

No judgement on the hot car situation. It's a horrifying accident. What nightmares are made of.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Honestly, if hindsight was 20/20, I would have broken into her car and  stole that doll.

Now that sounds just as  wacko.

Respected Contributor

Years ago I had a coworker that said she was almost to work and she thought hmmm I don't remember seeing the babysitter this morning, only to realize she had forgotten to drop her daughter off, she was sleeping in the backseat.  She was tired and not getting sleep with a fussy infant, she turned right around to go to daycare of course.  I guess I am saying maybe the baby was fussy and being a foster parent it wasn't her routine?  Not making excuses, there is no excuse!  I never ever forgot either of my kids ever.

I have a friend who thinks a lot of these cases are not accidents, not sure if I agree, I am sure some aren't though.

Honored Contributor

Did she not remember she had that kid all day?  Didn't she think about the child?  I find that puzzling.

Respected Contributor

Re: How Could You Forget?

[ Edited ]

I am curious about the child's babysitter. Did she/he not call the foster mother to find out why she didn't drop off the baby at the daycare facility.

Respected Contributor

@MyShadowLove  It is really sad, what is happening to our society on so many levels, lack of common sense,  consideration, respect,  empathy,  compassion, abiding by laws, value of another's life or property.

I see more selfishness, agressive behavior, violence and anti-social behavior. It seems that what many now worship is the

latest  technology and are addicted to phones and video games to the detriment of their own children and anyone or anything around them.

I'm so glad that I raised my five children in the 70's and 80's,

before this downward spiral.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Could You Forget?

[ Edited ]
@ spumoni99 I have to agree with your friend. I have thought that many times that it was done on purpose. I remember a father knew his child was in the car and left him to die. Because laws are so lax in this area, people are permitted to murder their child and get away with it. Pretending to have a lapse of memory works in these cases, sad but true.
Trusted Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

I have a friend who thinks a lot of these cases are not accidents, not sure if I agree, I am sure some aren't though.

I have to say, I have wondered that more than once, but what a horrible thought.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Valued Contributor

Re: How Can You Forget?

[ Edited ]

If dropping the baby/child off to Daycare, etc. is NOT a part of your daily routine, I can see how one could get distracted and forget that the child is in the back seat...

All it takes is for the cellphone to beep, buzz, or ring while you're exiting the vehicle, and BAM! - Your thoughts and attention have been hijacked, and you go about your "normal" activities while responding to the call or text.

I don't believe that everyone who forgets a child in a car is negligent, they've just been distracted, or they are on "auto-pilot" and are going about their normal routine.

ETA: Again, this "excuse" only works if transporting the child is NOT a part of your normal and usual routine.

Super Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Foster parents receive a little more than a dollar an hour. About $700 a month. Nobody is making "good money" taking in foster kids. People who open their lives to someone else's kids are heroes, imo.

No judgement on the hot car situation. It's a horrifying accident. What nightmares are made of.

@Lakelife62  "heroes".....or abusers.  Lot of that going on in foster homes.