Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Here's a guy wearing an Alladdin costume on a hoverboard.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGrgEhreWmM

Respected Contributor

I would not buy them for my children.

Honored Contributor

They look to me like a good way for kids to get into trouble.  I know they're not welcome on public streets and would be a hazard to pedestrians on sidewalks.  Where to ride them?  I can already see mall managers being driven crazy by these things.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My son in law got one, uses it when he takes the baby for stroller walks. Loves it, but he also said it is the cheap ones with cheap battteries that are the problem, not Swagway. Swagway use quality Samsung batteries.

The reports of fires I've read don't mention any brand name so I don't know how a reader would know it was a cheap one.

Valued Contributor

Dangerous or not, I'm just offended (as a child of the 80's) that they're calling these things hoverboards.  It has wheels, hellooo.  It's a powerized skateboard... a segway without the handlebars.  Roll, yes.  Hover, no.  Marty McFly would be very disappointed!  Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

P.S.  I'm sure Albany is a lovely person, but I'm telling you... if she ever falls off one of these things or crashes it during a presentation, you'll never revive me!  Face With Tears of Joy She's getting just a little too cocky on that thing and it's only a matter of time.  Anyone remember this?  CLICK.https://highheartlife.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/dielaughing.gif?w=600

Respected Contributor

@spix wrote:

Have seen many at O'Hare, with the crowds there, it's a nightmare, waiting for them to be banned at airports due to this factor, but the fire problem is even worse, but they also sell them there so who knows?

The airlines are now saying they don't want them on their planes either carry on or checked.

Respected Contributor

I was in Target earlier and there was a young woman on one of these and she was not wearing a helmet or knee pads. She fell a few times too. She came into the store with it and was shopping. She was going pretty fast at one point and almost hit people in the aisles.

Honored Contributor

I know from having 8 grands, after Christmas the sidewalks will not be safe from hoverboards and DRONES.  OMG, don't forget dromes.  The skies and ground are going to be dangerous....until the kids get bored., and go back inside to their games,, LOL!

Contributor

Re: Hover Boards

[ Edited ]

I brought one for myself at 50 years old, since we have a Paved Nature Trail about 5 mintues from my house & i have been having a ball LOL.  Yeah it's the cheap ones that have been catching fire.  

Honored Contributor

Tonight on our local news,  they mentioned that Amazon has quit selling the Swagway due to complaints.   Evine was selling it and I believe it is not one of the cheap ones.