Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,164
Registered: ‎05-10-2010

Why?????   I never heard of anyone giving a gift to new neighbors.  I remember back in the day, we'd introduce ourselves and take a casserole or baked goods but people don't do that now.   A friendly introduction is enough.   

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,946
Registered: ‎01-09-2011

That's generous of you. 

 

I have only purchased gifts for really good friends or family who have purchased their first home. We just gave my niece an Nespresso Machine when she moved into her first home.

 

For people I have never met, a warm welcome to the neighbor seems sufficient to me.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,404
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: Housewarming Gift

[ Edited ]

 


@chrystaltree wrote:

Why?????   I never heard of anyone giving a gift to new neighbors.  I remember back in the day, we'd introduce ourselves and take a casserole or baked goods but people don't do that now.   A friendly introduction is enough.   


@chrystaltree   No one said you need to become great, close friends, but being firiendly to a new neighbor can't hurt and is welcoming to folks moving into a new home, new people, new location. 

 

Our neighbor, who's been next door for 15 years, has our house key and alarm code for emergencies when we're away. We also exchange taking in each other's mail and packages when we're both on vacations.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,382
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

I wouldn't but that's just me. Just to throw this out there, I know it's not common at all, but my BIL will not eat any food item out of someone else's kitchen. He's strange that way, but you never know. Use a bakery if you decide to do this.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,181
Registered: ‎06-07-2010

@proudlyfromNJ  I am with your BIL, I would never eat from someone else's kitchen if I do not know you. I do not know what is doing in that kitchen. As far as a gift, nope. Just a warm welcome to the neighborhood is enough.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,965
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Janey2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I am with your BIL, I would never eat from someone else's kitchen if I do not know you. I do not know what is doing in that kitchen. As far as a gift, nope. Just a warm welcome to the neighborhood is enough.



@Janey2 @proudlyfromNJ - add me to that group.


Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,373
Registered: ‎05-18-2017

Re: Housewarming Gift

[ Edited ]

The house across the street from me just sold.  They haven't moved in, but I'm just planning on saying hello.  No gift.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,373
Registered: ‎05-18-2017

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Janey2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I am with your BIL, I would never eat from someone else's kitchen if I do not know you. I do not know what is doing in that kitchen. As far as a gift, nope. Just a warm welcome to the neighborhood is enough.



@Janey2 @proudlyfromNJ - add me to that group.


Add me to the group.  

Regular Contributor
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎04-07-2010

When I moved to a new home in 1996, my neighbor across the street sent us a beautiful, huge fruit basket and signed it with her name and phone number, a welcome to the neighborhood gift.  What a thoughtful, kind, generous gesture it was. We became best friends.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,111
Registered: ‎05-01-2020

Re: Housewarming Gift

[ Edited ]

Some of these responses astound me. Kind gestures never hurt.

 

Perfect time to share some flowers from the garden (in a jar they won't need to return) and include a note about the neighborhood facebook page, best Chinese take out in the area, upcoming community events, etc.