Respected Contributor

Re: House insurance big jump $$

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@GAQShopr53 

YOU SAID:  we just (all of sudden after 20 years) had the insurance company show up and want to take pictures of the home...thinking it is there way of seeing what improvements have been made so they can raise the rates.

You always should have all the current info on improvements and updated pictures of your home on file! .... if you had say a devestaing fire and your home needed to be totally rebuilt... you would want it replaced with all your updated improvements... otherwise you would only get the home rebuilt based on the old structure. 

We always let them know what improvements we did and just last fall replaced the siding and roof ( $35,000 worth of improvements) .  They gave us a discount credit for the new roof. 

@SeaMaiden Living in an area that is prone to hurricanes we always take our own pics of the inside and outside to include video's of the home content (stored in a different location). My post was about the fact that the insurance company sent out a rep to take pictures after 20 years.  What happened to prior years?  We have replacement value insurance for the home and understand that the cost of rebuilding increases over the years. The insurance company also knows about the new roof as they processed the claim...We did not get a discount for the roof and on top of that the property tax increased as a result of the new roof.

Respected Contributor

My DH is retired claim manager and he said it's because of Calif fires so I guess you live in Calif. He said all Calif home owners ins. will increase. I said well they get fires every year but he said not like this year. It was really bad for Calif. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is highway robbery. I live in southern Calif. and I have Mercury Insurance thru an agent, who's office is in Camarillo. I have homeowners and auto thru them and I have a $2,500 deductible for my homeowners. Having an agent means he/she can check around for the insurance company that fits u best. It's cheaper to have homeowners and auto with the same company. I just paid my homeowners insurance for February, 2019 to February, 2020 for $718. I have a 4 bedroom/3 bath 2-story house, 2000 sq ft. in Oxnard, CA. If u live in or near ventura county, let me know. Sandy

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

My DH is retired claim manager and he said it's because of Calif fires so I guess you live in Calif. He said all Calif home owners ins. will increase. I said well they get fires every year but he said not like this year. It was really bad for Calif. 

If your referring to me, no, as I stated I live in Amarillo, Tx

Pray that I get a new policy Mon. I emailed a friend and she said hers didn't go up, so, I feel they just want to get rid of us. LOL

Respected Contributor

OH if you live in texas then you don't need this huge payment. my dd underwrites she knows this mess, maybe the floods with hurricanes, do you live near water? if not get an agent yes ins, co will makyou pay near water or hurricanes they charge you more.if you get your car & house ins then it's cheaper bundle it up,If you live near floods or water good luck.,.insurance co will charge if you live near water or a problem area

Honored Contributor

My home insurance went up 11% and my auto insurance went up 20%.  I have never had a claim on my home.  I haven't had an accident or auto claim in 25+ years.  grrrrrrr

Respected Contributor

@zumka wrote:

Our Allstate H.O.'s ins went up $18 for the year and we never filed a claim nor do we live in CA and our credit rating is over 700.  You bet I'm steamed.  I don't like paying for CA sorry but I don't, especially due to the revelation that they are as wealthy as a country and seem to think they could secede from the union.  So do it already!  Oh but 1st Ca you have to do this:

The 1869 Supreme Court case Texas v. White (Texas! Always Texas.) determined that the secession was never actually a real thing in the eyes of the federal government. ... There's no right to secede and no process to secede -- but if you secede and then beat the U.S. militarily, the dynamic changes.

Ha!  

Am I reading this correctly? You are steamed about $18 per year increase??

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

We have Allstate. Ours didn't go up.

So do we!   Ours have not gone up either.

Honored Contributor

update

Talked to agent our company ASI raised rates to everbody and she's getting calls from all of us. have to wait till the 28th before she can quote new rates from new companies. said that company hadn't raised in yrs. and now were making up for it. I'm confident we'll get it back to normal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE

Its not just hurricane Harvey, I dont know where you live in Texas but windstorms/tornadoes in North Texas, hail storms, and just  from all the rain we've had (say for example your roof was damaged by a bad storm).  Some areas do require extra windstorm or flood insurance). And the crime where you live.  Also look at your policy deductible

I live in Tx, have multi product discount, no claims....and I paid $200 less with better coverage and lower deductible than my sis ---the difference was the company 

Good Luck

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”