Honored Contributor

Your Opinion - Do You Think Society Will Be Judged By Computers One Day?

I think one day instead of going before a judge, we will go before a computer.

I have mixed feelings about this.  A computer can't take compassion into the final decision.  But....for the same reason, I like the idea.

I've seen first hand (benefitting from outside interference) a person has (on more than one occasion) benefited from a final decision.

One time a judge said, "You are in luck young man.  I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, I'm in a good mood.  Case dismissed".

Another time a judge said, "I had a good nights sleep, I didn't argue with my teenager.  I'm putting you on probation".  I could go on, but you get the idea.

Most of the time judges aren't so honest about how they came about their decision.  But we all know problems and everyday life affects the way a judge thinks and feels while making legal decisions.  We see it played out big time these days, politically.

I think many of you are intelligent and can make good arguments pro and con.

I'd like to hear them.  I've been known to change my opinion on various subjects on more than one occasion.  

Growing up.  My daughters always knew if an argument made sense to me, I'd change my mind.  Some of their arguments made a lot of sense.

So, what say you?  Why?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Your Opinion - Do You Think Society Will Be Judged By Computers One Day?

I doubt it. 

Honored Contributor

Kind of like the Wizard in the land of Oz? Never happen. Education, experience, precedence...and compassion in sentencing is necessary. Software not available in my lifetime to equal this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Artificial intelligence is moving forward at an amazingly rapid rate.  Yes, I think someday in the future we may have AI deciding simple, ‘cut and dried’ cases such as those that usually go before magistrates.

You are so correct, just think how many cases fail because of a 

hung jury based on one person, who is influenced by who knows what.

A thought provoking question, thanks.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I never say never, because' in today's world 'anything is possible

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe.  But there still has to be programming by humans, and there are still appeals.

Did you run the red light?  Did a camera record it and did you get a ticket?  It already happens, to a lesser degree.

As long as there are humans of free will we have the control.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Artificial intelligence is just that....artificial.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 It is said that a computer will only be as great as the mind that programs it. That said, one of the reasons AI is being pushed in certain fields (including medical) is the understanding that the computer or robot (or whatever you wish to call it) deals with facts without the emotional aspect. Perhaps this would be a good move in the court room where judgment is based on facts and nothing more. Of course, this would be embraced or despised based on where you stood regarding the crime.

Dr. Isaac Asimov wrote many books and short stories regarding AI and the role it would/could play in the future; he was WAY ahead of his time but then again, he was a scientist so, not surprising. Some of his stories definitely make you sit back and go "wow". 

I just re-read Bradburys' Fahrenheit 451 due to my son reading it now in school and have to tell ya....it's frightening to see how a book written almost 61 years ago is so relevant today not to mention what was once imagined has, in some ways, become a reality.

Honored Contributor

I doubt the judges' decisions in the OP's example had anything to do with vacations or sleep. They were just attempting at a bit of humor.

Honored Contributor

Computers can always be hacked by who knows who, good or bad.

I don't think common sense can be duplicated via electronics.  'It's either this or that', no in-between. 

Jurors usually spend hours and hours, 'thinking it out', wondering about 'this or that'. Using common sense. It's a good safeguard for the innocent.  Without safeguards for the innocent, we have no justice. 

It's amazing, our justice system.  Developed to protect the innocent.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).