Super Contributor

I recently sent off my specimen for testing.

One of the tests is for early onset Alzheimer’s. I really have not given this much thought before now. I’m nervous but at the same time want to find out the results when they ar available. The reason for my nerves is because I am finally realizing that my mother did have “ dementia, Alzheimer’s type”. She passed away at 87 from a complexity of health issues after living in a nursing home for 5 years. She had some early signs starting around 80 years old. I sort of dismissed them as we didn’t live near each other and I was busy working, raising my family etc.

im now retired and like many people I am revisiting certain issues and the past. Has anyone had a similar experience such as this? I would like to hear from anyone who can relate to this.

PLEASE- I don’t want this to be about the merits of DNA privacy or the merits of finding out the test results or not.  Again, I would love to hear from anyone who has a family history and decided to test for the marker. If you tested positive, are you doing anything with the results? How are you coping? Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 23 and me DNA heath testing

@Mermaid22, if your mom had Alzheimer’s at 80, she didn’t have early onset.  That starts much younger.  I lost my sister at the age of 59 to this disease.  See below...LM

Early-onset Alzheimer's is an uncommon form of dementia that strikes people younger than age 65. Of all the people who have Alzheimer's disease, about 5 percent develop symptoms before age 65. So if 4 million Americans have Alzheimer's, at least 200,000 people have the early-onset form of the disease.

Respected Contributor

I believe genetic testing is key to understanding if one is predisposed to a disease.  Keep in mind the chances are usually 10-20 percent that any disease could in fact occur to a descendant (unless it is Huntingdon's that is always 50%).   In the case of my family which cancer and heart disease is high .... I blame it on poor eating habits, smoking .... not genetics. 

So if a negative result is rendered, various dietary protocols can be used to keep that disease at bay.   Best wishes on your results.

Esteemed Contributor

I did do this testing also, for the same reason.  Luckily there are no markers for Alzeheimer's for me.  The test did state a number of matches (relatives) for me, however, I opted not to explore any further.  

I hope you get the answers you want.

Honored Contributor

A good friend, Karla Freeze, lost 200+ with the primary reason

of her Mom developing signs of Alzheimer’s. Karla wanted to 

prevent developing this at any means...and here’s her story.

You can Google ‘Karla Freeze’ and many podcasts & interviews

will pop up.  Her story is very relatable...even if you’re not

morbidly obese.

Research with Alzheimer’s has started labeling it “Diabetes 3”.

The same treatment to reverse Type 2 Diabetes is the same 

treatment for Alzheimer’s prevention....

Low Fat Whole Food Plant Based Diet

Hopefully Karla’s story will inspire you & anyone reading!

🌼💛

https://youtu.be/OGZrOZOUQ2k

02A2B615-63FC-4BA6-8CE0-A62D3F9BBA4A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Alzheimer’s Prevention

[ Edited ]

With all due respect, that protocol is absolutely incorrect and I can not stress that enough for anyone who is seriously dealing with this issue. 

Look up Dr. Dale Bredesen and any other scientist doing work with APOE4 gene carriers (the marker for Alzheimers) and they recommend exactly the opposite and are reversing early symptoms of Alzheimers with a version of Keto and Mediterranean diets which are high in olive oil and other monounsaturated fats.  And yes they have the clinical data to prove it if you are interested.

@Mermaid22 I am who you are speaking of so let me be extremely frank and honest with you with what I've learned. 

First of all, IF anything comes back on you, you are not set in stone to develop Alzheimers.  It just means there are things you can do to stop those genes from turning on and the disease from developing. 

Many people with Alzheimers have no genetic marker and many do.  Any of us who live past 85 have a 50-50 shot at it no matter what your DNA says.

I will tell you and anyone looking to get their genetic testing done, it is not for the faint of heart.  You can have zero history of Alzheimers in your family and still carry a marker for it.  That information can and will weigh heavily on you.  But, knowledge is power and the sooner you start a protocol to help you if you are in a high risk group, the better you will be. 

Honored Contributor

@Mermaid22  I will also add if you are not a reader or want something more instantaneous, google APOE 4 on youtube and lots of presentations about protocol for APOE 4 carriers come up and they are very well done too.  Dr. Dale Bredesen and Dr. Steve Gundry have some good ones.  

Honored Contributor

Just look to any Blue Zones area w/ small amounts of 

degenerative diseases.  Those people live longer, fruitful lives

and their diet is basically the same:

Mostly Fruits/Vegetables/Starches & beans/legumes.

What it is Not:

A Keto diet is up to 70% Fat...and it’s a very new concept

which developed from treating epileptic children/adults.

A Mediterranean Diet is mostly fruits/vegetables/beans,

not the glug-glug-glug of massive amount of modern day oils.

The Mediterranean Diet succeeds because of the large amounts

of produce & beans. In the past, if people wanted olive fat,

they ate olives...not pour out amts of oil with no nutritional value.

And we don’t need a test to find this out...all people should be

eating a plant-based diets low in fat for long, richful lives. 

80F7364C-E744-4EAF-AB1B-0F193921907F.jpeg

418FC738-91EB-4674-85FF-3F7A2EB1C3EB.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  I am very well aware that you espouse and are very passionate about your particular nutritional information. 

But I have never seen you say you have studied the APOE 4 gene and the protocols that current researchers are proving works for patients with neurological diseases including Alzheimers.

Brain cells work best on ketones which are produced with high fat diets (multiple studies show that) and the mediterranean vegetables and plant foods you recommend are drenched in olive oil which is a monunsaturated oil highly beneficial to those with brain defecits.  

Since I have a personal vested interest in this with my family, I have done nothing but study the recent research and clinical studies that have come out over the past 6 months and followed the leading scientists.  Of this, I know.    

You are correct that you can reverse a lot of symptoms of diseases with diet and nutrition.  I applaud you for that.  But for brain diseases, your nutritional guidance is inaccurate based on recent science and frankly potentially harmful. 

I ask you to please think about making your statements about the diet you love so much on topics where the evidence is a little more up in the air. 

I agree with every bit of it for most people.  For this particular disease, science shows at present it is not appropriate.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

All the current little 100yr old Asian ladies & gents are giggling.

’We don’t need no stinkin’ study’

Primary diet of plants, beans and little fat.

We should all lead by their example. 

ETA.

Anything which increase blood flow is good.

Animal products/byproducts, oils & even high amts of plant fat

slow the blood & cause inflammation.  It’s common sense.