Respected Contributor

Re: 23 and me DNA heath testing

@Mermaid22 wrote:

I recently sent off my specimen for testing.

One of the tests is for early onset Alzheimer’s. I really have not given this much thought before now. I’m nervous but at the same time want to find out the results when they ar available. The reason for my nerves is because I am finally realizing that my mother did have “ dementia, Alzheimer’s type”. She passed away at 87 from a complexity of health issues after living in a nursing home for 5 years. She had some early signs starting around 80 years old. I sort of dismissed them as we didn’t live near each other and I was busy working, raising my family etc.

im now retired and like many people I am revisiting certain issues and the past. Has anyone had a similar experience such as this? I would like to hear from anyone who can relate to this.

PLEASE- I don’t want this to be about the merits of DNA privacy or the merits of finding out the test results or not.  Again, I would love to hear from anyone who has a family history and decided to test for the marker. If you tested positive, are you doing anything with the results? How are you coping? Thanks!

If you get troubling results back, seek out a medical doctor with a specialty in Alzheimers.  Best to avoid the "advice" of dueling posters on a shopping channel forum.  Best of luck to you.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

I believe genetic testing is key to understanding if one is predisposed to a disease.  Keep in mind the chances are usually 10-20 percent that any disease could in fact occur to a descendant (unless it is Huntingdon's that is always 50%).   In the case of my family which cancer and heart disease is high .... I blame it on poor eating habits, smoking .... not genetics. 

So if a negative result is rendered, various dietary protocols can be used to keep that disease at bay.   Best wishes on your results.

Sea breaze- you are not a doctor and there is ZERO scientific eveidence that any foods/diet keeps diseases 'at bay'. You are irresponsible and flat out WRONG to post this.

Honored Contributor

@Mermaid22, in regards to @mom2four0418, it's great common sense advice but a word of warning. 

If you come back with an Alzheimer's marker and it is entered into your medical records, it can cause you issues with insurance and possible other long term care benefits. 

Just be very careful about that since there is currently no law protecting you from insurers who will choose to disqualify you if they are able to access your medical records.   

It's a horrible reality but one to be aware of.  

Esteemed Contributor

JMO but I personally don’t believe in testing to see if your genes are predisposed for Alzheimer’s, or any kind of cancer.DH & I decided that we don’t want to know what are chances are of getting these diseases because the information would impact our quality of life.

There is something to be said in “ignorance is bliss”.It’s one thing to go for regular health screenings.It’s quite another to test your DNA searching for possibilities.Life is to short for that.

Honored Contributor

@Mermaid22  I had the same test as you.  When I got the DNA test results back, I decided NOT to find out what the test said.  There was another test I think for  Parkinson's as well....I declined to open that test result too.

I always can at a later date open up the results.........but I decided at this time  I just did not want to WORRY the rest of my life about the results if they were not good results.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant  That is actually incorrect based on what I have previously posted especially with Alzheimers. 

I am done posting in this thread since I've made my point and it's becoming off topic. 

This is a subject I am well versed in and it's tough to watch misinformation being put out there when the right information could actually help someone or someone's loved ones.

It's one thing to disagree.  It's another to sneer at even the possibility of there being a better, scientifically studied way.   When we are posting that anything that increases blood flow is good, actual patients who have high blood pressure or the experience of a stroke will tell you differently. 

We all remain ignorant and far worse off if we do not keep learning and adusting our knowledge base from time to time when science says we should.   

@Mermaid22  If you have any questions about the experience of testing and the protocols that are currently recommended for carriers, I'll be happy to answer them as per your original topic. 

My apologies for getting involved in other things for a topic that is beyond personal when you really go through it.  I know it's tough when a positive test result comes back for anything, expected or not.  I hope you have a negative result and this can be a true non-issue for you.  Heart 

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@ellaphant  That is actually incorrect based on what I have previously posted especially with Alzheimers. 

I am done posting in this thread since I've made my point and it's becoming off topic. 

This is a subject I am well versed in and it's tough to watch misinformation being put out there when the right information could actually help someone or someone's loved ones.

It's one thing to disagree.  It's another to sneer at even the possibility of there being a better, scientifically studied way.   When we are posting that anything that increases blood flow is good, actual patients who have high blood pressure or the experience of a stroke will tell you differently. 

We all remain ignorant and far worse off if we do not keep learning and adusting our knowledge base from time to time when science says we should.   

@Mermaid22  If you have any questions about the experience of testing and the protocols that are currently recommended for carriers, I'll be happy to answer them as per your original topic. 

My apologies for getting involved in other things for a topic that is beyond personal when you really go through it.  I know it's tough when a positive test result comes back for anything, expected or not.  I hope you have a negative result and this can be a true non-issue for you.  Heart 

I have thought about doing this testing...maybe sometime in the future I will....@laura14 I enjoy reading about your journey and information as I also have looked into this area trying to understand what is going on with all the different diets and how they are helping various diseases.  

Super Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Mermaid22, if your mom had Alzheimer’s at 80, she didn’t have early onset.  That starts much younger.  I lost my sister at the age of 59 to this disease.  See below...LM

Early-onset Alzheimer's is an uncommon form of dementia that strikes people younger than age 65. Of all the people who have Alzheimer's disease, about 5 percent develop symptoms before age 65. So if 4 million Americans have Alzheimer's, at least 200,000 people have the early-onset form of the disease.

Thank you so much for your reply- yes I meant the test is for late onset. I’m terribly sorry about your sister!

Super Contributor

Re: Alzheimer’s Prevention

@Laura14 wrote:

With all due respect, that protocol is absolutely incorrect and I can not stress that enough for anyone who is seriously dealing with this issue. 

Look up Dr. Dale Bredesen and any other scientist doing work with APOE4 gene carriers (the marker for Alzheimers) and they recommend exactly the opposite and are reversing early symptoms of Alzheimers with a version of Keto and Mediterranean diets which are high in olive oil and other monounsaturated fats.  And yes they have the clinical data to prove it if you are interested.

@Mermaid22 I am who you are speaking of so let me be extremely frank and honest with you with what I've learned. 

First of all, IF anything comes back on you, you are not set in stone to develop Alzheimers.  It just means there are things you can do to stop those genes from turning on and the disease from developing. 

Many people with Alzheimers have no genetic marker and many do.  Any of us who live past 85 have a 50-50 shot at it no matter what your DNA says.

I will tell you and anyone looking to get their genetic testing done, it is not for the faint of heart.  You can have zero history of Alzheimers in your family and still carry a marker for it.  That information can and will weigh heavily on you.  But, knowledge is power and the sooner you start a protocol to help you if you are in a high risk group, the better you will be. 

Thank you so much for your reply, you have helped me immensely.

Super Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I appreciate your candid replies and have actually investigated some of your advice a few days ago. I found a website where people who show the #4 markers can get information, advice and support . Thank you