Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Sure horses are bred for racing. And who breeds them?  Man!  For man's pleasure of horse racing/betting.

They weren't put on this earth to run phenominal speeds around tracks (on freakishly skinny legs) with a man on top whipping and kicking his sides. 

Start legal betting on the Olympics.

Yes . . . and in MUD, no less!!  The least they could do is postpone races when it's raining!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Any sport that involves athletes is going to also involve injuries; horses are the athlete in equestrian events and they get hurt/die. I've been involved with horses since before I could walk; I can't imagine a life without them. In my late teens, I was an exercise "boy" at the track and I've ridden at Pimlico (again, working out a horse). These animals are bred to run and will do so no matter what; they are highly competitive by nature and.... absolutely breathtaking when they do so.

The reality is, however, there is no other "point" to these horse and having them around except for racing (speaking about this breed only). I've seen many go down on the track, but also that have broken a bone running around and playing in a field near the stable...both are heart-wrenching.

I don't know what my point is; I know people are angry. I also don't think many truly understand the sport, how it works (the good the bad and the ugly) and that fact that either you have these horses do what they love to do and are bred to do or..... you don't have them around at all because there will be need to.

And that will be very sad thing, indeed.

@SahmIam

Sure there are other reasons to breed and have horses.  I've always been around horses for the pleasure of riding.  I grew up riding with a stable in San Francisco, in GG Park.  Now there's one right outside of the city, next to the ocean, it's been there for years and years.

SF also has horses ridden by police officers, especially in GG Park.

The Tahoe area is well known for beautiful horseback rides, I taught DH horseback riding there.

And let us not forget the many, many horses who work on ranches all over America.

Honored Contributor

Working horses:

Esteemed Contributor

The racing part is cruel as can be the breeding.  What's wrong with people to do such things. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I didn't notice the 'what else are they good for' bit until Noel quoted it.   But I also notice that poster mentioned that there are plenty of sports where humans are injured, etc.    

What I would say to that is that those humans had the luxury of making the CHOICE to do those sports.  These horses do not.

I get it that everybody isn't hurt by animal cruelty.  I really try hard to understand.    But I guess I just haven't been able to get there.  IMO, animal racing, circuses that use animals, and rodeos are barbaric and profoundly cruel.   Smiley Sad  It really makes me so sad and mad even just thinking about it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I didn't notice the 'what else are they good for' bit until Noel quoted it.   But I also notice that poster mentioned that there are plenty of sports where humans are injured, etc.    

What I would say to that is that those humans had the luxury of making the CHOICE to do those sports.  These horses do not.

I get it that everybody isn't hurt by animal cruelty.  I really try hard to understand.    But I guess I just haven't been able to get there.  IMO, animal racing, circuses that use animals, and rodeos are barbaric and profoundly cruel.   Smiley Sad  It really makes me so sad and mad even just thinking about it.

Hi @chickenbutt

Another difference is, human athletes don't get shot and killed if they break a leg.

Honored Contributor

Hey Noel!  Yeah, well, there's THAT too!   Yikes.  

Hope everybody is having a nice day.  It's cool and dreary here (LOVE!) and we even got some bits of snow the other day.  YAY!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Any sport that involves athletes is going to also involve injuries; horses are the athlete in equestrian events and they get hurt/die. I've been involved with horses since before I could walk; I can't imagine a life without them. In my late teens, I was an exercise "boy" at the track and I've ridden at Pimlico (again, working out a horse). These animals are bred to run and will do so no matter what; they are highly competitive by nature and.... absolutely breathtaking when they do so.

The reality is, however, there is no other "point" to these horse and having them around except for racing (speaking about this breed only). I've seen many go down on the track, but also that have broken a bone running around and playing in a field near the stable...both are heart-wrenching.

I don't know what my point is; I know people are angry. I also don't think many truly understand the sport, how it works (the good the bad and the ugly) and that fact that either you have these horses do what they love to do and are bred to do or..... you don't have them around at all because there will be need to.

And that will be very sad thing, indeed.

@SahmIam

Sure there are other reasons to breed and have horses.  I've always been around horses for the pleasure of riding.  I grew up riding with a stable in San Francisco, in GG Park.  Now there's one right outside of the city, next to the ocean, it's been there for years and years.

SF also has horses ridden by police officers, especially in GG Park.

The Tahoe area is well known for beautiful horseback rides, I taught DH horseback riding there.

And let us not forget the many, many horses who work on ranches all over America.

You're right, there are other reasons for horses but I was discussing race horses only.

THere are many who find the use of horses for trail riding, being kept in a stable solely to be brought out so a person can ride them on a trail to be cruel. There are many who find work horses on ranches (where they are still used, though many are being replaced by ATV's) cruel. There are many who find ranches cruel.... it just depends on their viewpoint.

My father had a special place in his heart for the Draft breeds; we owned a few after they could no longer work (aka earn their own keep). There are less and less of them around today because there is really no need for them. The cost of maintaining a "pet" horse the size of these noble creatures is something no one wants and few can justify just to keep them around.

There were MANY people who demanded open jumping events be eliminated when Christopher Reeve had his accident. I've ridden that course and I know a few who rode it right after it reopened and we all thought the same thing: it's a dangerous sport because these animals are NOT mindless blobs but creatures who will and do whatever the want if they truly don't want to do something.

Again, I can't and won't argue about something that, for me, is a part of my life. I can't explain it... it just is what it is.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Horse racing is no different than dog racing, ****** fighting or dog fighting. It is all animal abuse tied to people's addiction to gambling. All of it should be stopped and made a federal offense. 

@SeaMaiden

I think it's more than gambling to many people.  It's tradition, the sport of gentility, and it gives people something to do.  Some buy and sell horses or breed horses.

The Kentucky Derby is a major event people to look forward to all year.  Special drinks, special food.  The event of the season, find the right hat and outfit.  Have high quality silver cups for cocktails, especially mint juleps.

@Noel7:

Call  it what you will... it is animal abuse and cruelty. Remember Many years ago the Romans also had The event of the season.... mixiing Lions with Christians.... major event people looked forward to all year... food drink and good times...... some things are just not proper to do anymore and that includes gambling based on Animal abuse  tied to good times a fancy clothes. 

@SeaMaiden

Apparently I did not make my point clear.

You stated the reason behind horse racing was an addiction to gambling, and I replied that it's much more than that for some people. 

That does not make it right, it means there is more to it.  And that "more to it" is the only reason for many.

Once again, the lifestyle part of the equation does not make it right, but it does show it is not as simple as you stated.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Horse racing is no different than dog racing, ****** fighting or dog fighting. It is all animal abuse tied to people's addiction to gambling. All of it should be stopped and made a federal offense. 

Big difference in dog fighting,and horse racing.

abuse is abuse is abuse.... there is no difference.

@SeaMaiden

I certainly see a difference.  One ALWAYS leaves animals in pain and suffering, many times death, and that is the point... to watch blood and gore.

Neither are right, but one involves sadists while the other involves ignorance.