Esteemed Contributor

When my DIL was in high school, there was a bus accident that she was involved in.  A young woman on her soccer team died.  There may have been others too.

The young woman's mom took all of this girl's soccer T-shirts and made quilts for her closest teammates.  My DIL has it folded up in a closet.  Of course I don't think she will ever use it for anything.

And when my son and she got married last May, the Mom, who could not attend, sent her a little locket with the girl's photo in it that my DIL put in with her bouquet.  It was kind of a sad moment on that happy day.

I think vehicle accidents are the saddest way to lose someone because they are so sudden and mostly avoidable.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

The moment I hear about accidents such as this (no bad weather, flat ground, etc), my FIRST thought is booze, followed by texting. 

I wish peace for all those families. So sad.

@FiddleDeeDee    It was at night so the pick up driver could have fallen asleep, but yes, booze crossed my mind too.  A driver doesn't usually fall asleep when he has someone to talk to plus it wasn't late at night.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I think the vastness of these wide open areas is difficult to comprehend unless you have seen them. In Texas most speed limits on highways are 75. Some sections of I-10 are 80. 

Having driven these flat open roads to seemingly nowhere, I can easily believe the driver fell asleep and drifted into the path of the oncoming vehicle. Boredom behind the wheel is a problem in these desolate places.

It is a horrible tragedy for family, friends, and this small university.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I saw this story this morning in our local online paper---so very sad....Condolences and prayers to family/friends 😥

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@On It    Do you live near Midland?  Yes, there's a whole lot of nothing out there....America's Outback, I used to call it.  I lived there 7 years.  I liked it there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

What a horrible, horrible accident.  So tragic.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the families as well as the community. 

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness, such a terrible situation.  I am so very sorry for all of those concerned as well as their families and friends, whom I will certainly pray for.

Honored Contributor

Now days I think texting before alcohol.  It is so so common.  And so so dangerous.  

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@spiderw    When you're out in the wide-open spaces, there are typically very high speed limits.  Although straight and flat, this road is very dangerous due to its heavy use by big trucks servicing the many oil wells in the area.

@Kachina624 

I have no idea what the speed limit is on this specific road. Most 2-lane highways I have driven on, have lower speed limits than Interstates, or 4 or more lane highways.

Old people like me learned to drive on 2 lane highways, as there were very few multi-lane highways in the states. Driving and towing race cars did not allow you to drift out of your assigned lane. If you did? I doubt you would just hear someone blowing their horn. Oh, to be that lucky.

It is so sad to see these wrecks happen. I refrain from calling them an "accident", this one specifically, because a driver crossed into the oncoming lane. To me those are not "accidents", regardless of how much traffic, trucks or otherwise, use the road. 

Condolences to the families of those that died. Was the "at fault" driver one of the dead?

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)