Honored Contributor

Re: Hong Kong schools closed

Eating a bat.  Just mean.  Aren't there other things to eat, like noodles or cabbage.  Even snails if you need protien. Geesh

Honored Contributor

I have been to China.  I know for a fact that the average person there does not eat live animals, mice, dogs, monkey brains and the like.

They go to the markets and buy fresh meat like we do here.  They do eat snakes and rats.  The rats come from the rice paddy fields and their diet usually consisted of rice.  Yes, it is gross to me, but the animals are clean and not dirty city rats.

We have people here in America who eat things that most of us would consider gross too.

Don't imagine China as being a dirty backward country with uneducated people.  It just isn't so.  Most of their people are very well educated and speak several languages. Their cities are beautiful and modern.

As with all countries, there are pockets of poverty where people do whatever they have to do to stay alive.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have been to China.  I know for a fact that the average person there does not eat live animals, mice, dogs, monkey brains and the like.

They go to the markets and buy fresh meat like we do here.  They do eat snakes and rats.  The rats come from the rice paddy fields and their diet usually consisted of rice.  Yes, it is gross to me, but the animals are clean and not dirty city rats.

We have people here in America who eat things that most of us would consider gross too.

Don't imagine China as being a dirty backward country with uneducated people.  It just isn't so.  Most of their people are very well educated and speak several languages. Their cities are beautiful and modern.

As with all countries, there are pockets of poverty where people do whatever they have to do to stay alive.

---

If I recall correctly, there was some rare disease in America associated with eating squirrel brains. That sounds gross to me, but it may be a cultural thing. 

I would love to visit China, just not at the moment.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie 

Im glad you brought this up, because it is so true.  I know like Japan, France and in other parts of the world, they shop daily.  They don't really hoard food, or , freeze it.  Pickle it yes.  They buy local, in season and usually daily, or when they cook again.  They buy exactly what they need.  They eat tons more veggies than we do.

Honored Contributor

YOu might consider the people reading this  that are  of Chinese  descent, and consider their feelings when you post

These people are innocent victims of a disease. They didn't sign up for it, nor did they do anything to deserve it