Honored Contributor

Re: Hong Kong schools closed

One food considered a delicacy in China   is eating the brains of a LIVE  monkey...I saw a horrific video of this....they are a very barbaric culture....  cruel....

Super Contributor

I'm looking at the picture of the chart of what's being sold and wondering exactly how starving I would have to be to eat any of that. Ugh.

Sometimes I watch "Naked and Afraid" and get queasy when they start chugging slugs and bugs. Seriously though, I wish there would have been faster action taken on this in China, and maybe could have stopped some of this (as of yesterday):

"There are 63 cases being monitored in the U.S. that stretch across 22 states, including the first patient in Washington state and the new case in Illinois, said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases".

Respected Contributor

Very scary stuff.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really don't think we should start with the slams at another country because SOME might have different eating habits than we do. The Chinese are hardly "barbaric."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I know in Mexico they eat dogs, but not live ones. I would label any culture that eats live animals barbaric.
Respected Contributor

i just saw a video I can't un-see in my mind.  I wish I could. I'm aware of the Chinese eating all kinds of animals not accepted in most cultures.  I totally get desperate, impoverished citizens doing so, but many affluent continue to consider them a delicacy, or a cure all for some ailment.  Chinese medicine still has a big influence, although it is not evidence based.  It's like folk medicine.  There's a desperate need for education otherwise. 

The video I mentioned showed a guy eating baby mice alive.  Yes, picking up a baby mouse with a chopstick, dipping it in dipping sauce and down the wiggly thing went, with gusto.  I bet anything this guy expects some benefits from this little creature beyond just the taste.  

@Mindy D is correct in her comment about how this contagion likely originally became transmitted. There's disagreement that this started with eating infected critters. But, with the way viruses today are mutating, with the ability to bounce between species, it stands to reason that what goes on the plate needs some tight regulation.  After all, what happens in China won't stay in China.  That's why we need to be concerned.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I really don't think we should start with the slams at another country because SOME might have different eating habits than we do. The Chinese are hardly "barbaric."

What I saw  with the monkey on the table was horrific.... that does not mean we  here I this country are also not guilty of such horrific acts on animals....it is WRONG no matter who does it.  

Honored Contributor

When they breed dogs ,and keep them in terrible cages,and kill them i will slam any country or people!! 

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

Yes, the animals can be dead, too; however, I said SOME, not all, U.S. physicians are blaming...should have used the word suggesting or even accusing.

The doctors were not saying eating live animals was the only way, but leaned in that direction thinking it was the most dangerous and easiest way to get the virus.  They discussed dead and living close to them, as well.  Some Chinese live above animals' quarters. 

The list of animals I mentioned was not exhaustive and not intended to imply all could be carrying the coronavirus, just that Chinese eat live animals for those who aren't aware. 

Bats were mentioned in coronavirus.  

Didn't think I needed to go into detail about what other doctors are saying since I specifically said "some."  Of course there will be differences of opinion.  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I know in Mexico they eat dogs, but not live ones. I would label any culture that eats live animals barbaric.

@lovesrecess, I have never seen Mexico on the list of countries that eat dogs. But hey, you do know that is legal in most of our states to consume dog meat as it is not done commercially?

Eating live animals is gross and disgusting to me, as well as being very dangerous. I just wouldn't say that China's culture is therefore barbaric. I would say that this particular type of dining, no matter where it is practiced, is barbaric.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland