Honored Contributor

Hong Kong schools closed

[ Edited ]

Hong Kong is closing its schools for two weeks in light of the novel coronavirus. The US government is sending a charter flight to Wuhan Sunday  to pick up diplomats and evacuate all known Americans. At this hour, there are nearly 1400 cases. A brand new quick coronavirus detection kit will be available Feb. 1. It can detect other strains of the virus besides the new strain. A doctor treating patients in Wunan has died from the infection. 50 million people in China are under some type of lockdown. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hong Kong schools closed

[ Edited ]

Some in the U.S. medical community blaming Chinese for catching these viruses from eating live wild and domestic animals.

Bats

Monkeys

Snakes

Donkeys

Frogs

Fish

Baby mice.

We know Chinese eat cats and dogs, but heard yesterday from a physician and elsewhere (look it up), some eat them and others alive...how the virus is spread from animals to humans.  What previously only spread to other animals is now caught by humans and spread to other humans.

Despite being warned previously, China hadn't sufficiently warned it's own citizens and really should have banned eating live animals.

Some excuse this practice..."It's their culture, none of our business", but when these viruses spread to our country and others, then it indeed becomes our business.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

Some in the U.S. medical community blaming Chinese for catching these viruses from eating live wild and domestic animals.

Bats

Monkeys

Snakes

Donkeys

Frogs

Fish

Baby mice.

We know Chinese eat cats and dogs, but heard yesterday from a physician and elsewhere (look it up), some eat them and others alive...how the virus is spread from animals to humans.  What previously only spread to other animals is now caught by humans and spread to other humans.

Despite being warned previously, China hadn't sufficiently warned it's own citizens and really should have banned eating live animals.

Some excuse this practice..."It's their culture, none of our business", but when these viruses spread to our country and others, then it indeed becomes our business.  

I am sorry to correct this information but it is not known whether consumption of these animals is the mode of transmission for the novel coronavirus or for SARS and MERS. It is known that there has been transmission to persons that did not consume these animals, whether the animals were dead or alive. It is suspected that contact, (including handling) with an infected animal  plays a part in non human transmission. Up until the new coronavirus only birds and mammals were suspected as being vectors. One new study has findings that reptiles could be involved in transmittingbthe novel but this research is by no means definitive. For MERS, Research has shown that the animal vectors or reservoirs were probably bat to camels to humans. For SARS it is most likely to be bats to  civet cats to humans. Civet cats are consumed in Africa. (and Africa was not the source of SARS, CHINA-Asia was), but in Asia they are used in the making of perfume, not for consumption. It should be noted, however, that some news reports are mentioning the presence of civets in the Wunan market. 

Super Contributor

Not raw, but I still can't imagine eating a bat that has been cooked in soup like this young woman in Wuhan is doing. It would give me nightmares! Supposedly used to treat coughing (ugh, so probably more and more people are doing it)

Bat.jpg

I also read this on various sites:

"A Chinese woman who bragged about cheating airport coronavirus screenings in the outbreak's epicentre has been tracked down in France. 

The woman boasted on Chinese site WeChat that she'd been suffering from a fever but took tablets to mask her symptoms so she could fly from Wuhan

'Just before I left, I had a low fever and cough. I was scared to death and rushed to eat [fever-reducing] medicine,' the woman tweeted, according to the BBC. 'I kept on checking my temperature. Luckily I managed to get it down and my exit was smooth.' 

Officials had temperature scanners in operation at the time she was flying, refusing to allow anybody with signs of a fever from boarding the flight. 

The woman said that she had used anti-fever medicine to keep her temperature down. She then documented her journey to Lyon on WeChat.

She later posted photos of herself apparently dining at a Michelin star restaurant in Lyon with family.

Her post sparked outrage online and the Chinese embassy in Paris was bombarded with phonecalls and emails, it said".

Others have posted ways of using cold water to "beat" the screening SMH! These idiots are going to kill us all Woman Frustrated  

Honored Contributor

i think that most, if not all of the schools were already scheduled to be closed due to the chinese new year, which began today.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

GROSS, i could attack some one that killed dogs !!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

BCC93FC4-1FF3-4BC6-A15C-F16637D5E32D.png

Honored Contributor

@Happy2BHere wrote:

Not raw, but I still can't imagine eating a bat that has been cooked in soup like this young woman in Wuhan is doing. It would give me nightmares! Supposedly used to treat coughing (ugh, so probably more and more people are doing it)

Bat.jpg

I also read this on various sites:

"A Chinese woman who bragged about cheating airport coronavirus screenings in the outbreak's epicentre has been tracked down in France. 

The woman boasted on Chinese site WeChat that she'd been suffering from a fever but took tablets to mask her symptoms so she could fly from Wuhan

'Just before I left, I had a low fever and cough. I was scared to death and rushed to eat [fever-reducing] medicine,' the woman tweeted, according to the BBC. 'I kept on checking my temperature. Luckily I managed to get it down and my exit was smooth.' 

Officials had temperature scanners in operation at the time she was flying, refusing to allow anybody with signs of a fever from boarding the flight. 

The woman said that she had used anti-fever medicine to keep her temperature down. She then documented her journey to Lyon on WeChat.

She later posted photos of herself apparently dining at a Michelin star restaurant in Lyon with family.

Her post sparked outrage online and the Chinese embassy in Paris was bombarded with phonecalls and emails, it said".

Others have posted ways of using cold water to "beat" the screening SMH! These idiots are going to kill us all Woman Frustrated  

This woman isn’t too bright. Unfortunately, this isn’t a new strategey. 

Honored Contributor

Turtles, too, if I'm not mistaken.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is some of the stuff they were selling. I know there is more because the article I got this pic from discussed it. I don't think anything is off limits. Let's just put it that way.

image.png