Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2   Yeah, I wrote post #31.    It said people could be looking for a fight.  It does not say they are looking for a fight.

They probably would get the "look". No one actually fights...it's an expression.  And you already know that.

Honored Contributor

When I moved to the south I got used to it and I do say it now.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3  I'm also guilty of saying "hon" too !!!!!

Respected Contributor

Being from U.K. Do not use either Honey or Dear but you will hear Londoners using Love and Mate all the time - as in ‘you o.k. mate’ to men or ‘you need a hand love’ to women. 

Nothing detrimental about it just friendly and if I am called honey or dear would think it friendly too.

Valued Contributor

My highly educated niece, double masters in nursing and head of the trauma nurses in a major Pittsburgh hospital, in her early 60's calls many people Honey, and Sweetheart.  We have been together a lot and no one has ever been offended by her language.  She's one of the best nurses I've ever seen and highly doubt a trauma patient , and she gets some horrendous cases, would reprimand her for her use  of these words.

Honored Contributor

Interesting because being addressed as "Mama" is very common here, especially among HIspanics.

My DDIL's dad always calls me "Mama" and I think it's sweet.

"Mija" is also used as a term of endearment even though it is a literal phrase parents use with their daughters (miijo for son).

When in Texas, do as Texas does.  

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Honey???Dear????

[ Edited ]

I don't like it but realize that most  are just being nice and pleasant.  I'm not offended by it but there are times (especially when men say it) that it is condescending.  When I first started working right out of high school, many of the men there would use honey, dear, sweetie, etc when talking to the young girls.  I was not shy and would reply with a sarcasstic hun or sweetie to them and by the look on their faces it showed they were taken aback by the nerve of this young girl doing that!!  Even with them it was not really said with malice but just that they think the female should be flattered by it!!  I actually prefer that to ma'am.    

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Ms tyrion2   Yeah, I wrote post #31.    It said people could be looking for a fight.  It does not say they are looking for a fight.

They probably would get the "look". No one actually fights...it's an expression.  And you already know that.

...but yet you accused Cakers of exaggerating. 

Look, you can't always be right @Carmie .

You exaggerated to make a point and so did she.  Let's call it even.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is offensive to the OP

Honored Contributor

I live in an area where these expressions are quite common, and come mostly from the familiar faces at the grocery store checkouts, restaurants, CVS, and Dollar General.  I like being recognized and treated as a regular customer.

The days of my life are quite challenging right now.  When a store clerk says something like “thanks hon, see you next time”, it’s like a little hug that reminds me how blessed I am to live in an area where it comes natural for people to look you in the eye and say something nice.