Respected Contributor

Is any one else offended by being called honey or dear by sales people, check out clerks, members of the medical profession etc. I may have silver hair, but I am highly educated and perfectly competent.  Arghhhhh!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Nope, I am fine with it coming from either sex.  Just a polite familiarity.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Honey???Dear????

[ Edited ]

@sydsgma1 -

I take it you're not from the south?

Also do people in the midwest say honey and dear a lot?

I always think of it as a "term of endearment"

and like it. I don't think any harm or disrespect is meant, nor even just said to elderly.

All ages are good!

edited to ad-

Wait!  Oh dear, I forgot to say -

Well, honey, bless your heart:Heart-

All in good funSmiley HappyHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as they are pleasant to me and offer genuine smiles, it doesn't bother me at all.

Honored Contributor

No..My sister does this ,all the time, to people. I have tried to explain to her ,some people don't like this, but it falls on deaf ears

I don't sweat the small stuff, life is too short

Valued Contributor

It doesn’t bother me in the least.

Honored Contributor

Mostly I'm just happy to be acknowledged in a pleasant tone.

Honored Contributor

When I was young, it used to bother me when waitresses would call me “Hon”.  I let that go long ago.  These days I’ll take any term of endearment I can get. ☺️

Honored Contributor

I'd be white, too, if it weren't for good dye, and educated and still walking and talking -   but I'm not offended unless the sales clerk should know my name because I deal with him/her regularly.

I do not like to be treated as if i don't exist, so I'll take the generic address over nothing any day.

Related experience -  I just came from a local nail shop.  I've been there before fairly often in the past, but this was the first time I made an actual appointment.  I was greeted by name when I arrived and thanked by name when I paid.  Smart receptionist!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Is any one else offended by being called honey or dear by sales people, check out clerks, members of the medical profession etc. I may have silver hair, but I am highly educated and perfectly competent.  Arghhhhh!!!!

A young doctor kept calling me "hon" a few years ago and I politely told him "I am not your hon." 

Salespeople who call me dear or honey, get the proverbial "eye roll."