Respected Contributor

Re: Honesty, Please -- Amount of Clothing Question

[ Edited ]

Because I don't have to share closerts anymore, I actually have two very large walk in closets full.  However, I have changed sizes constantly since last winter (from large to small) so I have one closet full of things I wear now and one filled with things that no longer fit.  I could probably scale down, but I hate to give up things I've enjoyed wearing and might need their size again. If I continue to be scarecrow thin, I'll probably start to thin things out mid winter. I feel selfish keeping so many things when there are so many people (Houston especially) who need clothing.  

To answer your question, do you actually wear most of your things?  Or are they just collecting dust?

Respected Contributor

I actually have a friend that asked me to come to her bedroom to see

something she had bought .... I had to ask her .. do you have clothes

hanging anywhere else in the house .. she said no ....I could not

believe how few clothes she had ....but she was the best dressed

of all our friends ....

Honored Contributor

I have about 1/4 the amount it sounds like what the OP has. But I am retired. I do love clothes but still keep my buying down to a minimum.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SAM55 wrote:

My husband thinks I have a ridiculous amount of clothing (and shoes, handbags, etc.)

I wondered how many pairs of pants other women have, dresses, tops, sweaters?

I have a double closet with just blouses, short sleeved and long sleeved.  And I have a large dresser with t-shirts adn short-sleeve tops.  I have a large closet organized in sections for sweaters and cardigans, and another closet with hanging jeans and pants.  It seems like a lot, but I hear women call into the Q and say they purchased all colors of this pant or that pant, or bought this or that blouse in every color, so I'm thinking my stash isn't over the top.  Would love to honestly know the amount of clothing other women have accumulated.

@SAM55

Remind him that men's clothing styles don't change that often, whereas women's clothing styles change each season!

As long as your finances can afford it.

Now that I'm retired, I find that I just don't need that much and our budget is definitely not the same.

You don't know what the circumstances are of those women "who call in and order all colors" of an item, nor if their testimonials are real or just another sales ploy.

Never compare/judge your life or decisions based on what others do.......everyone's life circumstances are different, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I would love to just have those things I wear and love and THAT FIT. BUT INSTEAD I HAVE THREE SIZES OF CLOTHES

the 2/4 size that I was 5 years ago and🙏🏻 dream to be again....( if only!)

The  size 6/8 that I am today...👎☹️

AND  the size 10 that I hope and pray 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻I NEVER  am again.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to have way too many clothes.  After I retired I got rid of 2/3s.  Now I share a good sized walk in with DH (3/4s is mine).  Still have more than I wear so time to down size again.

Honored Contributor

My late husband never complained.  Someone I dated afterwards once made a remark ... he never did that again!  

Esteemed Contributor

Well, my closet is full, so that has seriously kept me from buying more lately.  I have a lot of short sleeve tops, skorts and pedal pushers in every color (but I do wear those all the time).  I have plenty of pants, 3/4 sleeve tops, and some sweaters, which I can not wear very often due to my climate.  Same thing with light weight jackets.  I love jackets.

I have a few dresses I bought that I have never worn, and may never wear.  I have a lot of skirts that I rarely wear.  My sister says that I buy clothes for a life I no longer have, and that is true.  I used to have a more professional job (up North) for which I needed a lot of nice clothes, and I kind of long for those days.

One thing I try to keep in mind is cost per wear.  If I really want something, I try to think of how often I can wear it, and how much it would cost me each time I put it on.  I also remind myself that everything I buy, I am going to have to agonize at some point about getting rid of it.  I buy almost all my clothes from QVC which I know is a more expensive way to shop, but I have found the quality of clothes at my local stores is really lacking.

I would not say I have a ridiculous amount of clothes, but I certainly do not need any more.  It is hard for me to part with clothes that still fit, but I don't wear for some reason.  I am at the point where if I want something new, I have to decide what to donate.  That will likely stop the new purchase.

Good luck to you!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My late husband never complained.  Someone I dated afterwards once made a remark ... he never did that again!  

@ALRATIBA   Not a very smart man....probably why he is not married🙂

Respected Contributor

I envy your closet space ! DH takes up two thirds of our little closet, but he still is working and his weight fluctuates. I'm not, and I stay the same weight. 

I'm running out of space for handbags though, and I admit to hanging some in multiples on door knobs 😜