Honored Contributor

Re: Honesty, Please -- Amount of Clothing Question

@Perkup I normally wear 3/4ths of what I have but I do have my favorites.  I am in the process right now of donating clothes I have not worn in a while.  I really need to give away more besides what I have put aside so far and  I will take to Goodwill.  I will also donate some shoes that are in excellent condition and I no longer wear. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Perkup I normally wear 3/4ths of what I have but I do have my favorites.  I am in the process right now of donating clothes I have not worn in a while.  I really need to give away more besides what I have put aside so far and  I will take to Goodwill.  I will also donate some shoes that are in excellent condition and I no longer wear. Cat Very Happy

I recently did that, and it felt great.  I love downsizing what I own.  It's very liberating, IMO, to not have so much "stuff".

I've just started doing the same for my mother.  It's a lot of work, but so worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on your lifestyle if you have a lot of clothing or not? I don't work anymore, so I don't buy tons of clothing anymore.

I probably have 7 or 8 pair of jeans, and 7 or 8 pair of dressy.casual slacks.

Shirts I have the most of.  Maybe like 30 Summer tops and 30 Winter (or cold weather) Not totally sure.

I have 20 pair of shorts, and 4 pair of capris. 

Shoes, well I dont know how many, but I have boots, sandals, lots of sneakers and casua/dressy shoes.

I have a lot of cardigans, tanks, jackets, but only 2 Winter coats!

I own 1 dress, yes 1. My wedding dress from my 2nd wedding 10 and 3/4 years ago. 

lol. I never wear dresses.

PS I donate clothing (mostly tops and sometimes jackets or coats) 2X a year to Goodwill. 

So I only buy clothing as I need them. I am home most days except for Dr appointments, dinner out, movies and get togethers with family.

I think that my husband actually has more clothing than me (that he mostly gets for gifts at birthday and Christmas from familly), but not more shoes and coats. He doesnt wear the older clothing much anymore. Just lately I have been finally getting him to donate some of this clothing. lol. 

Lastly I have a friend that's older than me. She shops every other day in stores And I'm not kidding. She told  me she has 50 pair of jeans, 30 coats. I don't know how many tops and shoes. Shes literally addicted to shopping because she takes things back a lot that she changes her mind about after she gets the clothing home. I have never taken anything back in my life, unless I bought something that broke (not clothing).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles