Super Contributor
On 12/2/2014 mominohio said:
On 12/1/2014 Qwackertoo said:

I was really surprised at some of the questions on the registration papers I had to fill out for son at the beginning of this school year. Same school district. This was new. I've been filling out paperwork at the beginning of the school year for going on 15 years now. Some of the questions were . . . Do you have a home? Do you live in a car? Do you live with other adults that are related or not related to you? Do you anticipate not having somewhere to live in the next 30 days? Not the exact questions, as I don't remember them word for word. So here, they must be trying to identify which kids may need additional help and they (the students) and their families might be falling through the cracks in the system, but they seem to be trying to identify, locate and hopefully direct them to more assistance and help.

I have noticed similar questions on the 'back to school' papers for a number of years now. I really didn't like the questions and often just didn't answer them. I cannot recall exactly the wording now, but they were phrased in a fashion that made me feel that my privacy was being violated by answering them. IF the real intent is to help find kids who are 'falling through the cracks', I guess it is good, but it never seems good when the government wants to get involved.

If the questions bothered you and didn't apply to you, that's your right not to answer them. I'm just glad they are there for those who do.

Trusted Contributor
On 12/1/2014 happy housewife said:

If the homeless voted then the government would help them but since you can't vote unless you have an address - and those in Washington ONLY CARE about getting votes or money for their campaigns this segment of our society is ignored. No matter how many homeless there are out there the government at all levels does NOTHING to help them.

There's no real shortage of money for the cause, it's just badly spent. We, like much of Europe, spend a huge amount for nealy 100 forms of welfare.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor
On 12/2/2014 Qwackertoo said:
On 12/2/2014 occasional rain said:

As for starving homeless children, I have never read of any child starving to death other than those who were intentionally starved by their parent or care giver. None starved because there was no food available.

Just ask someone who is dieting how it feels to be hungry. Not necessarily starving. And then transfer that to an innocent child. In a perfect world, all those programs you mention would eliminate this but they don't. IF it did fill the need 100% you wouldn't have people contributing to the backpack program where they send the kids home with food for the weekend and long holidays to make up for the meals they DON'T receive for breakfast & lunch during school sessions.

I'm very against government waste but I'm also against suffering and being hungry, truly hungry, is suffering . . . and of our most innocent and vulnerable citizens aka children . . . just saying tough luck kid, too bad, too sad . . . doesn't quite cut it.

There are many children in this country who only get one meal a day - and that is the free lunch at school. My father grew up in a very poor family - his father was a cop and was shot and killed - the family of 16 children was left to basically fend for themselves after the funeral.That was in the days before unions and policeman's widows being taken care of. My Dad never forgot what it was like to be hungry. When we would not eat something because "we didn't like it" he would say - that's ok - I'll eat it. And he would , literally eat anything, no matter how bad it was. If it was burned - it didn't matter - he ate it.Maybe he is why I have such a soft spot for the homeless and the poor.

Honored Contributor
On 12/2/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 12/2/2014 happy housewife said: Actually, preds, the county is planning to take over some defunct motels in our town for non payment of taxes and my church is trying to have them used for housing the homeless with children.I hope and pray it comes to be. It is about 2 miles from my house. That does not bother me. It is basically in a commercial area.In one of the 2 motels the rooms have kitchenettes, so our food bank would provide food and, once people get an address they can then get welfare and food stamps and send the kids to school.

HH, this sounds like something that could be considered in lots of town and cities where the same situation exists. Funds to do it are another thing entirely, but if people really want it to happen, they can find a way. There is way too much state and local money wasted every year by politi^cians who don't have a clue what they're doing, let alone care. They need to be voted out and replaced by people who do care. The ballot box carries a lot of weight.

HH, I agree this is the type of answer that will work. Not government funded programs that waste money and actually encourage and perpetuate the poverty.

When private charity (church based or otherwise) steps in, the money is most usually more effective, and when done locally, the controls are in place to help prevent the abuse of the systems by people who only want to take.

Honored Contributor
On 12/2/2014 blahblahvampemerblah said:

If the homeless voted then the government would help them but since you can't vote unless you have an address - and those in Washington ONLY CARE about getting votes or money for their campaigns this segment of our society is ignored. No matter how many homeless there are out there the government at all levels does NOTHING to help them.

There's no real shortage of money for the cause, it's just badly spent. We, like much of Europe, spend a huge amount for nealy 100 forms of welfare.

And yet we still do NOTHING for the homeless.

Honored Contributor
On 12/2/2014 happy housewife said:
On 12/2/2014 blahblahvampemerblah said:

And yet we still do NOTHING for the homeless.

HH, just because the system is broke, doesn't mean that it does nothing for the homeless. There are lots of things available to the homeless, just not enough to go around in all areas. Under served, yes. Not served, no.

Honored Contributor

People are homeless for numerous reasons. In some cases it is due to a loss of a job and/or the economy in general. Many of the (chronic) homeless are suffering from mental illness. Hospitals release patients with no place to go other than the streets.

We spend some of our time in NYC. Countless times I've seen people from agencies offer people shelter. Some only want financial assistance. (makes you wonder their true level of need as recently local news has reported some of these women with children are frauds) There are others that simply do not want to go to shelters.

I know there are many charities that (claim to) assist the homeless. Where the money goes I haven't a clue.

No child should ever not have a warm place to eat, wash and sleep.

Esteemed Contributor

Please don't put words in my mouth. Nobody said anything about that. We don't need to be giving taxpayer-funded subsidies to big oil companies. You and I are paying for that - it has nothing to do with taxing them more. They're making billions, and I don't need to be paying subsidies for them.

Valued Contributor
On 12/2/2014 kittymomNC said:

Please don't put words in my mouth. Nobody said anything about that. We don't need to be giving taxpayer-funded subsidies to big oil companies. You and I are paying for that - it has nothing to do with taxing them more. They're making billions, and I don't need to be paying subsidies for them.

^^^^^THIS