Trusted Contributor

Re: Holy cow - speaking of road rage

Amen. @Brigitta. Retired teacher also and good grief the parents I dealt with. Apple..tree. So true.

Respected Contributor

Why not just drive away....especially once you see that the nutcase is coming towards your car.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

Why not just drive away....especially once you see that the nutcase is coming towards your car.

Because he has been waiting since he got the thing for an excuse to pull that gun out and shoot someone. Now he thinks he's really a man!

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Some states say you can shoot someone if you fear for your life.

Legally, it might be that guy's mistake was leaving the scene.

It's a pretty big stretch of the imagination to say a man pounding on your hood & yelling while you are inside the car is cause to fear for your life. Close the windows, lock the doors, & drive away come to mind before taking a gun out and shooting him. If I was on the jury he'd go to jail for shooting that man.

@151949

Stand Your Ground.  It's legal in your state.  You had a well known case where it was the defense.

@Noel7  Many times if you wait to see if the person has a gun before you do something, it is too late.  The shooters only mistake was driving away.......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Wow  you are quick on the draw!

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Some states say you can shoot someone if you fear for your life.

Legally, it might be that guy's mistake was leaving the scene.

It's a pretty big stretch of the imagination to say a man pounding on your hood & yelling while you are inside the car is cause to fear for your life. Close the windows, lock the doors, & drive away come to mind before taking a gun out and shooting him. If I was on the jury he'd go to jail for shooting that man.

@151949

Stand Your Ground.  It's legal in your state.  You had a well known case where it was the defense.

@Noel7  Many times if you wait to see if the person has a gun before you do something, it is too late.  The shooters only mistake was driving away.......

@tends2dogs

I wasn't suggesting anyone wait around, merely reminding people of what the law is in Florida.

Honored Contributor

The man pounding on the hood was behaving irrationally. The shooter had no way of knowing if the man had a gun or what he might do next. A car's window is no protection against a bullet and what would prevent the man from shooting him as he tried to drive away? If the shooter had meant to kill the hood pounder, he could have and would have. The hood pounder was still alive and still a trreat, the shooter had no choice but to drive away or kill him to be safe. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The man pounding on the hood was behaving irrationally. The shooter had no way of knowing if the man had a gun or what he might do next. A car's window is no protection against a bullet and what would prevent the man from shooting him as he tried to drive away? If the shooter had meant to kill the hood pounder, he could have and would have. The hood pounder was still alive and still a trreat, the shooter had no choice but to drive away or kill him to be safe. 

Very lame rationalizing IMO -. I'm sure lying on the ground bleeding he was still really a threat! He never had any sign he had a weapon.

Respected Contributor

@Skinsgirl wrote:

On an extremely busy road in Raleigh, NC there was an incident of road rage that I will never forget.  Capital Boulevard seemed to be under construction for the entire 15 years I lived in Raleigh and it was extremely congested.  Two men were traveling on the Boulevard when the second car started blowing his horn at the first one and motioning for him to pull over.  The first car was going too slowly for the second one.  When they both were pulled over, the second guy got out of his car, opened the back door of the first car and told the driver he wanted to teach him a lesson he will never forget.  He proceeded to pull out a gun and shoot and kill the 7 year old son of driver #1.  Now that's a case of road rage!!!  So incredibly sad.

This is sickening. What is it about the act of driving that makes some people think they need to teach others a lesson. Never pull your car over if you can keep driving.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If the shooter did not mean to shoot to kill then he was in violation.  It would also indicate that he did not "fear for his life".

Even if he left beause he still felt in danger and needed to get away from that location he had an obligation to contact LE and file a report.

Even in Florida one cannot "defend" themself the drive off like nothing happened.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.