Respected Contributor

Our mountain village was chosen for filming "The Lost Bus." The movie stars Matthew McConaughey and America Ferrera. The story is based on Kevin McKay (McConaughey) and Mary Ludwig (Ferrera) who maneuver a school bus full of young students through the Camp Fire that burned much of Paradise, CA. It is directed by Paul Greengrass and produced by Jamie Lee Curtis and Jason Blum.

The village was used to portray Paradise before the fire destroyed most of it and took so many lives. Special effects crews created smoke and the illusion of fire. It was somewhat unsettling since we had a fire that threatened our village only two years ago. They were here for two weeks before heading to Santa Fe.

Some of our local businesses were used for filming. I saw them at the barber shop, the local coffee and smoothie shop, the pharmacy, and our local convenience store. I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the photos of the filming.

The Lost Bus:

IMG_1241.jpeg

Matthew McConaughey:

IMG_1077.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

IMG_1116.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@On It Thank you for posting the photos. I love America Ferrera, did you see her?

That was a tragic fire 

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

Where were they filming?

Respected Contributor

Photos of shooting on our Main Street.

1. IMG_1236.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

Keep checking if you are interested. My iPad and I are struggling to get the photos loaded. There will be more posts to follow.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hollywood Was Here!

[ Edited ]

We drove up onto this scene. Nothing sitting on the convenience store lot is local. The vehicles are all props.

A New Mexico State trooper was directing traffic. This is a state highway that runs through the village. The state police did traffic control. Look at all of the crew and trucks. The black Jeep looking thing did a lot of filming with the camera mounted to the top.

IMG_1274.jpeg

We turned right and there was this crew across the street.

IMG_1277.jpeg

We turned onto a side street to go back to the convenience store.

IMG_1279.jpeg

The bus is parked at the pumps. Matthew McConaughey is inside.

1. IMG_1293.jpeg

Respected Contributor

This is the only interior photo we have. The convenience store is a local phenomenon. Locals eat lunch and dinner there. Note the community table shown. We eat there often.

IMG_1123.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Some of the trucks and equipment at the staging area.

IMG_1252.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

Respected Contributor

This was the small staging area in the Midtown area. The Base Camp headquarters were outside of the village in a facility with security guards. We could not get photos, but that is where most of the equipment was stored and production offices were located.

Grey vans ran routes to transport the cast and crew to and fro. It was highly organized and well-planned.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hollywood Was Here!

[ Edited ]

Fire station  Number 2 was used to replicate the Paradise fire station. My photo is cluttered because they were setting up equipment and props.

IMG_1222.jpeg

Locals said the cast and crew were fascinated by the wild horses and the elk. The elk being elk walked into one of the scenes and filming was stopped briefly for them to decide to leave.

Respected Contributor

@On It Thanks for the photos, lots of excitement and nice closeups too. I can't wait to see the movie!