Respected Contributor

Ukulele!

Readily available for under $100, and easily self-taught...... there are tons of Youtube videos and online sites to teach the chords.  I have never played an instrument in my life, and can play my uke!

Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom - has she expressed an interest in any particular hobby? What does she like to do and has she tried anything?

Some hobbies are a bit more expensive to delve into as you need certain tools to begin. 

Less expensive things that come to mind are crochet, knitting, maybe painting of some kind. 

More expensive things might be scrapbooking, definitely quilting.

Super Contributor
If she's looking for something to fill time and be educated
I just received a catalog in the mail called
The Great Courses. They're having a big sale right now
and many courses are $25-$35. It also caught my eye as
something interesting to do. I've never heard of this
company, but they seem to have some great offerings.
~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

@riley1 

She has expressed interest in Cricut purchase.  I have discouraged because of investment and how to use\sell products.  I should probably investigate.  I did encourage her to pursue if she had plan, cost estimate, etc.  I think that's important.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

@riley1 

She has expressed interest in Cricut purchase.  I have discouraged because of investment and how to use\sell products.  I should probably investigate.  I did encourage her to pursue if she had plan, cost estimate, etc.  I think that's important.

If she's interested she should go for it and get one. They have payment plans. You could pay for some of it. That may be the vehicle she needs to make all sorts of neat things. Sometimes the right tools really do spark a lot of creativity.

Maybe make a deal with her that if she doesn't use it to make something in the first 21 days, she'll send it back and get the money back? I say this because it sounds like you are very involved in her activities and finances and that could be a good compromise.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

There is also case binding a book for collecting recipes.  Not really hard and the result is priceless.

Or wood carving.  Doesn't take much room or tools.

Or learning bobbin lace making.

Or tatting lace.

Respected Contributor

Ummm. Why can't she think up her own hobby and do some research. Maybe look up some how-to's on Youtube. First there has to be some interest there.