Honored Contributor

Re: Highly sensitive person...this is a real personality trait

Beanie - I wonder if you guys will take the keirsey- bates questionnaire....it's been around for awhile and a very useful tool to tease out temperaments,etc....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2015 MickD said: Shade - that's what industrial/ organizational psychologists are for....my friend was in school studying that.....it's big business doing personality tests for employers.....well at least before the economy crashed....

Yes, I believe it. Most employers want to hire people that are a good fit, meaning they are compatible. But, these issues that crop up obviously are not divulged during the interview. I would think the highly sensitive person would certainly bring that to the interview, if it was really true; if it was really an issue for that person.

Super Contributor

On 2/17/2015 SuiGeneris said:
On 2/17/2015 Ford1224 said:
On 2/17/2015 JuJu Squeezie said:

I guess I thought we were talking about being a "Highly Sensitive" person. My mistake.

Now I see it's about rude people, spoiled brats, temper tantrums etc. manipulating others to to get their own way.

Stick your heads back in the ground and have a nice day.

I agree. Some have veered off from the topic completely.

I, too, agree.

It occurs to me that without all the "highly sensitive people" in our past, we would not have had wonderful operas or symphonies, beautiful works of art, or, perhaps, all the great literature that inhabit our concert halls, museums and libraries.

But, perhaps all the practical, no-nonsense, blunt people might be okay with that?

I'll take the sensitive person any day of the week.

Super Contributor

I've noticed on this BB that some people with no filter refer to themselves as no-nonsense, to the point and telling it like it is. Some of us have other names for it. Smile

Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2015 reese2 said:

I guess I thought we were talking about being a "Highly Sensitive" person. My mistake.

Now I see it's about rude people, spoiled brats, temper tantrums etc. manipulating others to to get their own way.

I, too, agree.

It occurs to me that without all the "highly sensitive people" in our past, we would not have had wonderful operas or symphonies, beautiful works of art, or, perhaps, all the great literature that inhabit our concert halls, museums and libraries.

But, perhaps all the practical, no-nonsense, blunt people might be okay with that?

I'll take the sensitive person any day of the week.

I like the type of person who is flexible. In fact, I believe that it is a question when you are interviewed. I am a very flexible person and one needs to be to get along and be a team player. A person who is blunt certainly can be a great team player just like someone who is not. But someone who is inflexible.....that's a whole different kettle of fish.

edited:typo

Super Contributor

On 2/17/2015 MickD said: Beanie - I wonder if you guys will take the keirsey- bates questionnaire....it's been around for awhile and a very useful tool to tease out temperaments,etc....

I will let you know....

Honored Contributor

I, too, agree.

OH - now only "highly sensitive people" can create beauty. NOT.

Trusted Contributor

There are all kinds of people in life, shy, quiet, blunt, assertive, many different types. Sometimes the exact opposites can have a good effect on each other, the blunt person bringing out something from the shy person and so on.

I really don't think classifying any personality traits as medical afflictions or protected classes is justified. And even if someone were highly sensitive, who makes the call to judge that? And why would it be considered a bad thing?

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 reese2 said:

I've noticed on this BB that some people with no filter refer to themselves as no-nonsense, to the point and telling it like it is. Some of us have other names for it. Smile

Oh yeah - the last thing we would want here is to be direct and honest. Some of us find the running all around a subject instead of just saying what you mean to be just as irritating. When people are direct and honest there is no misunderstanding - when they talk in puzzles all the time - no one ever gets their point, and they get mad because no one understands them.

Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2015 mochachino said:

There are all kinds of people in life, shy, quiet, blunt, assertive, many different types. Sometimes the exact opposites can have a good effect on each other, the blunt person bringing out something from the shy person and so on.

I really don't think classifying any personality traits as medical afflictions or protected classes is justified. And even if someone were highly sensitive, who makes the call to judge that? And why would it be considered a bad thing?

Did you read the opening post by beanie?

The person she works with, who claims to be different, caused disruption until things were aired out and apparently it's not over yet.