Super Contributor

Re: Highly sensitive person...this is a real personality trait

On 2/17/2015 Cakers1 said:

Some people prefer to remain sensitive; even when one tries to coax them out of that feeling they will come up with a myriad of excuses as to why they feel slighted by a certain situation, comment, etc.

Or they will accuse one of trying to denigrate how they feel.

I think most people try to help a sensitive person "lighten up" so to speak - not because they are picking at how they feel but are just trying to be nice and empathetic.

SOME sensitive people look upon everyone else as not understanding them and shy away from social interaction.

It all depends upon the person and why their sensitivity level is where it's at - jmoymmv.

Nothing puts me more at ease than somebody who doesn't know me from Eve, who intends to change me because it'll make them feel better. Let people be who they are. Shining a light on a person because their nature bothers you is not appropriate. I know you mean well.

Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2015 beanie said:

Just as I will respect her needs, the HSP should respect others needs as well. I didn't ask to be placed in this office and I am a respectful, quiet person as well. I get it. I don't think it's a cop out or a crutch...really....just respect should and needs to be a two way street.

Well I hope for your sake she does respect you. I wonder what's next if she doesn't.

Super Contributor

In my experience, anyone who makes a point to declare "I'm a highly sensitive person" is really saying that THEY are the only ones who matter and everyone else better adjust their behavior, talk, etc., to accommodate THEM.

Some assign that word to themselves as a positive. In other words, they are "highly evolved and aware and affected by everything around them," while others, I guess, are dense clods.

In most cases, what they are is what used to be called "high strung." Overly nervous, overly emotional, overly everything. They are emotionally/psychologically ill and need to seek help to address their issues.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2015 ktlynam said:

In my experience, anyone who makes a point to declare "I'm a highly sensitive person" is really saying that THEY are the only ones who matter and everyone else better adjust their behavior, talk, etc., to accommodate THEM.

Some assign that word to themselves as a positive. In other words, they are "highly evolved and aware and affected by everything around them," while others, I guess, are dense clods.

In most cases, what they are is what used to be called "high strung." Overly nervous, overly emotional, overly everything. They are emotionally/psychologically ill and need to seek help to address their issues.

Exactly. Now, if the person has been diagnosed by a physician that would be different.

Respected Contributor

OR...........simple spoiled and used to getting their way and using any means to achieve it.....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

It sounds to me like these are people who want to manipulate things to their advantage and this person is trying to use this book as a tool for manipulation. I think the OP is being played.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 raven-blackbird said:

OR...........simple spoiled and used to getting their way and using any means to achieve it.....................................raven

Exactly, if they have an issue dealing with the world then THEY need to deal with their problem, and recognize that the rest of the world is not going to bow to them.

Super Contributor

I guess I thought we were talking about being a "Highly Sensitive" person. My mistake.

Now I see it's about rude people, spoiled brats, temper tantrums etc. manipulating others to to get their own way.

Stick your heads back in the ground and have a nice day.

Super Contributor

I think it is a sensitive person who gets very emotional after a tragedy (9/11, loss of a pet) and it's the dense clod who says to them "Move on".

I know a sensitive person who doesn't use it as a cop out or a crutch and it's not all about her. She just feels what she feels and unfortunately people around her tell her to get over it.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 JuJu Squeezie said:

I guess I thought we were talking about being a "Highly Sensitive" person. My mistake.

Now I see it's about rude people, spoiled brats, temper tantrums etc. manipulating others to to get their own way.

Stick your heads back in the ground and have a nice day.

I agree. Some have veered off from the topic completely.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986