Super Contributor

Re: Highly sensitive person...this is a real personality trait

Before the mediation...I just thought she was moody. That was fine, until I felt so "shunned" and "invisible" to her. That brought about the mediation and things will improve now I am sure. We REALLY aired our feelings. I have to say this has caused me an enormous amount of anxiety as well..and sometimes very difficult to come to work.

Honored Contributor

It's like in many workplaces employees take the personality tests so they know how to work with each other. So good for your proactivenes beanie.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

You didn't mention a couple of things. Highly sensitive people are usually extremely bright, artistic, overly regimented, and sometimes wind up with eating disorders or other obsessions. They are both the best and the worst people to try to live, work, or deal with in any situation. Most of them live very frustrated lives because nothing is perfect and perfection is their only goal . . . in themselves as well as others.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Being overly sensitive or the opposite can definitely allow a person to manipulate without even knowing it.....these people can be polarizing and disruptive in the workplace if behaviors are not nipped in the bud.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

Some people prefer to remain sensitive; even when one tries to coax them out of that feeling they will come up with a myriad of excuses as to why they feel slighted by a certain situation, comment, etc.

Or they will accuse one of trying to denigrate how they feel.

I think most people try to help a sensitive person "lighten up" so to speak - not because they are picking at how they feel but are just trying to be nice and empathetic.

SOME sensitive people look upon everyone else as not understanding them and shy away from social interaction.

It all depends upon the person and why their sensitivity level is where it's at - jmoymmv.

Super Contributor

Just as I will respect her needs, the HSP should respect others needs as well. I didn't ask to be placed in this office and I am a respectful, quiet person as well. I get it. I don't think it's a cop out or a crutch...really....just respect should and needs to be a two way street.

Respected Contributor

On 2/17/2015 beanie said:

Before the mediation...I just thought she was moody. That was fine, until I felt so "shunned" and "invisible" to her. That brought about the mediation and things will improve now I am sure. We REALLY aired our feelings. I have to say this has caused me an enormous amount of anxiety as well..and sometimes very difficult to come to work.

Who told this woman that she was "a highly sensitive person?" I would think she would have to be diagnosed by a physician in that field before it could be used as a excuse for her bad behavior.

Honored Contributor

Beanie - exactly.
Super Contributor

On 2/17/2015 Ford1224 said:

You didn't mention a couple of things. Highly sensitive people are usually extremely bright, artistic, overly regimented, and sometimes wind up with eating disorders or other obsessions. They are both the best and the worst people to try to live, work, or deal with in any situation. Most of them live very frustrated lives because nothing is perfect and perfection is their only goal . . . in themselves as well as others.

YES...

Super Contributor

As a teacher, I miss the days when you worked with people, both kids and adults, and didn't have to adjust your own behavior and class expectations in order to accommodate all the idiosyncrasies in others. In a classroom, it becomes an educational nightmare when there are 30 different kids getting a state provided education and you have to make varied exceptions for at least 10 of them.