Respected Contributor

Re: Hey eat someone else’s deck!

I feel your pain.  We had carpenter bees.  Replaced with fake decking -now we have ground squirrel chewing on stairs.  Can't get ahead of critters.

Honored Contributor

That is the biggest woodpecker I've ever seen! 

I hear and see them a lot especially the redheaded ones.

This morning I heard a knocking sound on the roof and went to look for a woodpecker but it was a little finch/sparrow type bird who kept flying from the grass back up to the roof. I think she was trying to build a nest but then maybe gave up.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@godi @SeaMaiden @Zhills 

One morning I heard a hammering sound, I thought it was a neighbor....turns out it was a Woodpecker hammering on my metal gutters that are painted brown....LOL 

Red-bellied Woodpecker Identification, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of  Ornithology

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

If they are slowly pecking, they're usually going after bugs.  If they are doing it rapidly, drumming, especially on gutters or metal like the tops of the stack coming out of your chimney, they are advertising their territory.  They like metal because it's louder and the sound travels farther, thus a larger territory.  

Honored Contributor

I have never seen a wood pecker like that. I am in California, and I have seen two a couple years ago, banging away on the walnut tree, but he didn't look like that.   He was smaller and kinda like woddywoodpecker., about the size of a blue jay. 

Honored Contributor

That is so cute, @godi ,  in the second shot where she turns and looks at you!  You get such remarkable wildlife shots...

Honored Contributor

Beautiful photo, as always.  Thanks for sharing @godi 

Respected Contributor

Every so often, a woodpecker will peck on our metal gutters or chimney caps. The first time I heard it (around 7:30 in the morning), I thought someone was firing a machine gun in front of our house! I peeked outside and the street was empty, so I went out and there it was - as bold as brass. It mustn't have gotten any bugs because it flew right away.

Esteemed Contributor

@godi 

We have a lot of those wood eaters also. There are lots of trees, but they still like enjoy are roof. We bought and hooked 2 woodpecker blocks, that we put in cages to fit the block size, and now can even see them better. Plus, keeping more of our deck also.

There are also lots of Blue Jays enjoying them also.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)