Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hey!!! Were you ever in a pageant?

No; my mom would not let me enter one....I was furious with her for not letting me be in a pageant. Now, of course, I am grateful for her decision! Pageants are very seck-sist and that's one thing I'm really glad that my mom prevailed about! 

Respected Contributor

Almost, in a Miss Teen ----. I flunked out on the interview because I was asked a question regarding local politics and I didn't have a clue about politics when I was sixteen!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qualitygal    What kind of pageant?  There are Christmas Pageants, Easter Pageants, Medieval Pageants, May Day Pageants, etc., etc.  You need to be more specific. 

@Kachina624 

Good point.  I automatically assumed she meant beauty pageants.

@Tinkrbl44    See?  You've been "conditioned". 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I did some modeling (print and television commercials; but never pagents. I'm probably too clumsy and would have tripped on stage! 

Respected Contributor

No,  but as a child and teen, we were forced to watch these pageants on TV because my mother was hooked on Miss America, Miss USA, Miss World,  Miss Universe. She would always call the Winner. One year it was Deborah  Shelton, who was gorgeous and became an actress (she played one of J.R.'s mistresses on Dallas, among other movie/TV roles).

Now in her 90's mom's still glued to the pageants. she is a frustrated would-be Beauty Queen who even today deep down  feels she missed the boat by getting married to my Dad.  When she was a young woman,  she had quite the face and figure and even into her 40s, she had men following her everywhere. 

Respected Contributor

I can still remember in college the steady stream of candidates that were paraded at lunch time in our communal cafeteria  to be the "sweetheart" of every fraternity and men's dorm on campus. Like that was the epitome of success for a woman. Irritated me then and still does.

Are the toddler beauty pageants with the outlandish makeup, hair, and costumes still happening?  TLC showed a glimpse into this world and it was horrendous what these kids were subjected to. When you have to feed toddlers caffeine and pure sugar packets to keep them awake and close the event to the public to keep out predators, even I know something is horribly wrong with this concept

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I was 17 when I entered our township pageant. I did that pageant two years in a row. And the other  time was for a modeling pageant.  I was in that one twice also.  I was 25 when I did that one.  I had fun with it, I did not go into it with any crazy expectations. I also had dance classes, and I did do some modeling, so I guess that's why I was not shy about going on stage in a pageant.

Honored Contributor

I assume you are referring to "beauty" pageants.  Right?

The answer would be no.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT ....

In my (all girls) high school - we had Spring Pageants.  It was a big deal. 

Every year had a different theme. 

Our gym/dance teacher worked out song/dance routines for each class.  We had costumes.

There was only one performance for parents and guests.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, yes, I did particpate in four pageants!