Trusted Contributor

Re: Hey!!! Were you ever in a pageant?

[ Edited ]

No way was I ever in a pageant, nor my daughters or granddaughters....I find those pageants sad and usually exploitive of little girls who are taught (or forced) to smile and strut on cue as their mothers live vicariously through them.  I find it sickening.
I was, however, in a high school "sweetheart" ceremony where the Marine ROTC officers chose their "sweetheart" and I was given roses...does that count? I didn't have to do anything but get dressed and show up. I was surprised and was stalked by one of the senior guys I had no interest in for several weeks after that. He was creepy IMO. He is now a surgeon at Johns Hopkins. 😎

Respected Contributor

YUCK- NOOOOOO. There is NOTHING cute about little girls parading around in a face full of makeup, big hair, and goofy clothing! 

Respected Contributor

Yes, a long time ago.  Miss ---- Air Force Base.  I didn't enter myself, the guys I worked with did it.  No, I didn't win because I wasn't serious about it.

Respected Contributor

No, but I've held prestigious roles such as "3rd ear of corn from the end" and "4th girl in the crowd" in the local ice show as a kid. I was miserable. All I wanted to do was play hockey, but neither my mom or the local youth hockey association would allow it so I got stuck in figure skating. And dance. And gymnastics. At least I could skate really well. The other endeavors were complete disasters. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We have a 'pageant' in our community.  It has been active for years.  The girls are all shapes, sizes, ages.  It is very community minded, the girls do a lot of community service projects.

The age range is 6-18 years, different categories for the age groups.

Super Contributor

Never in pageants but did take what I'd call a charm class when I was about 14.  The instructor had been a model and was a local judges wife.  I've used various things I learned in that class my whole life (I'm 82 in three weeks) and thankful I took the class.  We learned how to walk, sit, shake hands, introduce people, converse, etc., properly, and of course modeling.  At the end of the course we all got to model at the local dress shop.  It has served me well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was!!!!

I was in kindergarten, came home and told my mom that they were having a Halloween costume pageant at the school tonight.

We went down in the basement, gathered up some supplies and I made a hula skirt out of a crepe paper roll and not sure what I used for the top.  All I remember I had some kind of bowls or something like that around me on the top.  Oh and I had a plastic lei and a big plastic flower in my hair

I walked back and forth across the stage and the judges kept eliminating kids as they walked by.    I WON!!!

I came home with a toy.

Thanks for the memory.

Home made does it every time!!!!

Super Contributor

LOL, I was I went to a teen center and they had a contest for someone to represent their Teen Center in the Anne Arundel Co contest for the teen queen of our states( Md.) county.. I won the Miss High Point contest and then Had to go on for the County competition which I didn't want to do .. but I had to and I won. Miss Anne Arundel county teen queen...I was totally in shock..there were about 20 girls representing their teen centers. Looking back I'm glad I did it as I was always insecure. I think it was good for me. I won a modeling contract and clothing and dinner gift certificates from the stores at our mall .

I don't remember much it was in 1974 I was 17.

Honored Contributor

Nowadays a child can get as much exposure as she/he wishes on social media.

Can pose, primp, photoshop and get her face (etc.) out there.

Or not.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  I was named "MISS 'OUR TOWN' 1950."