Honored Contributor

Hey!!! Were you ever in a pageant?

I don't recall this ever being on the board before?  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Hey!!! Were you ever in a pageant?

@qualitygal wrote:

@qualitygal 

No, I don't think this has been discussed.  Never thought this was a healthy way to raise young girls.  The word pageant immediately brings to mind Jon Benet Ramsey and how over-sexualized they made her.  NOT a good thing, IMO.

Of course, it's nothing new that women are judged primarily on their looks, and everything else was secondary.   

Many years ago, pageants were more common because there weren't as many career options open to women.  Nevertheless, I couldn't see the advantage of campaigning to be Miss Garlic Festival, in hopes that one day you might qualify for the "Miss  Whatever" pageant.   Years later, it was a big deal to be a "former Miss America".   

JMO, of course, but I think the promoters were the only ones who benefitted from these old fashioned shows.  I'm glad most of them have gone away.

Honored Contributor

No.....I was chubby and had a unibrow.....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never been in any pageant.

Honored Contributor

When I was young, I entered my dog in a neighborhood pet pageant.  He won a ribbon for "Longest Ears", he was a dachshund/beagle mix.  It was arranged by our parents as a summer vacation activity.  Haven't thought about that for decades.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@qualitygal It has been discussed and it was removed. This was before the board changed to a new platform.

Pageants do not build self esteem. The pressure can be unbearable leaving a person with life long issues with never measuring up to the impossible standards of beauty set forth. Obsession with weight for one thing. My mother was a stage mom who pushed me into modeling and pageants at the age of 12. At 5'8 I was told to lose ten pounds when I weighed a healthy 120. This is standard behavior when a woman has to rely on her appearance to win a pageant or model. 

It's a nasty business and I am glad pageants aren't glorified the way they were when I was young....

Honored Contributor

No, but I performed in a few ballets as a child. Nothing huge. And I had to play a boy because I had a short haircut! After every performance I put big ribbon barettes in my hair to keep people from calling me "young man" when they complimented me backstage. I loved having my moment on stage, though.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Not pageants, but my younger sister and I went to john Robert Powers Modeling School! It was fun and we didn't take it too seriously! One day we had bring a friend, and I had this gorgeous tall blonde friend that ended up being chosen as a hair model. It was fun!

My sister and I were never really that interested in being models, it was just something fun and interesting to do! Most of the girls in our class would have never made it in the "real modeling world" anyways.....

My friend that was chosen as the Hair Model had  beautiful blonde hair like Farrah Fawcett, and she ended up doing some hair shows and having fun with it while it lasted!

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi .....your post made me chuckle, thanks for the laugh!

Respected Contributor

No!!!!!!

I remember in my very early teens my mother thought she was doing a great thing by enrolling me in Sears School for Young Charmers.  I am not quite sure what in the world she was thinking.

In any event, I think I flunked out big time.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF