Valued Contributor

Hey Ma! Can I have a sleepover?

IMG_2482.JPG

Honored Contributor

So - how do you let the cat in while keeping the coon out?

Trusted Contributor

You can wait  until the raccoon goes away. They are wild and not overily interested in standing in front of doors, even with a cat. They’ll move along and the car will stay and wait. Or make any gesture or tap inside the glass door to startle the raccoon. When he goes, call the cat in.  

And if there’s raccoons around for sleepovers (thought that caption was hilarious) make sure kitty has up to date rabies shots. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jasmine19  LOL. That’s a cute caption you used!  😁 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Jasmine19.......such a cute picture.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

IMG_2482.JPG

How cute!

Respected Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

IMG_2482.JPG

@Jasmine19 wrote:

IMG_2482.JPG

this reminds me of the eyeglasses commercial: a lady goes to the door at night to let the 'cat' in, when it's really a raccoon. She's calling: Here, kitty, here kitty kitty'.

Respected Contributor

Adorable.  This reminds me of 51 yrs ago when I moved into my first home at age 25. Still living here, this house backs up to Rock Creek Park and I started feeding the raccoons and opossums by the woods.  When Beach Drive was cut through in '68, people started dumping their unwanted cats in Rock Creek Park and I noticed a couple young cats eating with the raccoons.  I made friends with the cats and both of them, Daisy and Boy Cat became part of our family for years. The raccoons and the cats got along fine. Then there was an emaciated, injured pregnant cat that I took in and Mother Cat became part of our family; had her cared for and healed by our vet, she had a beautiful bunch of healthy kittens which I found homes for, heavily interviewing/scrutinizing the adopters.  Two yrs ago I noticed another very young cat eating with the raccoons, although appeared frightened, made friends with him which took a long time, and Angus Duncan is now part of my little 2-cat family with Maxwell Fergus, a confiscated rescued Norwegian Forest Cat adopted from BARCS in Baltimore....

Honored Contributor

@Jasmine19

Thank you for sharing that cute photo!

We have a resident raccoon who lives under our back deck.  My cats have befriended her and they cuddle happily with her.  'Her' name is Esmeralda.

As we have been in our home for 18 years, many cats have been her friend, and I'm sure many Esmeralda's have come and gone.  Somehow they keep the tradition going.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Oh how sweet! I miss my raccoons after leaving the mountains. They loved cheese puffs especially the little ones. One would lay on his back and hold in paws then look up and have orange all over there face. Loved the wildlife and miss that part of it.