Honored Contributor

Re: Hey Hurricane Florence......

@Budsmom wrote:

Tell that to the 400,000 people without power and in need of being rescued.

Need rescued because they never heard for the last 2 weeks that this mega storm was coming. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people who put first responders in jeopardy to rescue them because they chose not to heed the warnings.

Honored Contributor

I just heard someone who had been rescued talking to a reporter and he asked her why she had not evacuated. She said my house is all I own , I couldn't leave it.  So - did staying there putting herself & her family in jeopardy and endangering those who had to rescue her save her house. NO.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

It appears this morning the storm is petering out. Although still a lot of rain, and always present possibility of storm surge, but down to a cat 1. i've lived through a few cat 1 & 2 storms when I was a kid spending the summers in Fl. Back then there weren't near the building codes nor anything like storm shutters or hurricane glass & underground electric  that exist today. I remember my Uncle having people come out to turn the gas off, and putting up plywood on the doors & windows. He did not have a garage so he'd take his car to a garage in town and have to walk home about 5 miles.And turning off the pool pumps and draining the water down real low.

Massive amounts of rain and flooding isn't exactly "petering out".

Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Budsmom wrote:

Tell that to the 400,000 people without power and in need of being rescued.

Need rescued because they never heard for the last 2 weeks that this mega storm was coming. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people who put first responders in jeopardy to rescue them because they chose not to heed the warnings.

My comment was in response to Auntg’s post stating Hurricane Florence was “media hype”. My heart and prayers go out to all affected by this horrible storm.

Respected Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

We lived through Sandy here, and I get upset when I hear about hundreds of people rescued (most new reports are saying over 200 rescued in New Bern) because they did not heed the order/warnings to evacuate.  This puts the first responders at risk. 

God bless everyone experiencing this storm right now. 

@IslanderGirl62

Wow, I saw last night where they rescued 200 and had over 100 more to rescue in New Bern. This was before it made landfall. I do get upset with people risking  rescue people when it is not necessary.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I just heard someone who had been rescued talking to a reporter and he asked her why she had not evacuated. She said my house is all I own , I couldn't leave it.  So - did staying there putting herself & her family in jeopardy and endangering those who had to rescue her save her house. NO.

@151949

I saw an interview with a man saying he stayed because he stayed through Hugo and he wanted to watch his stuff. He now needed rescuing. His "stuff" was underwater. Now Sponge Bob has some new "stuff".

doxie

Respected Contributor

Three people have died from the storm.

Respected Contributor

Sadly, there will be more.  Florence is just spinning at the coast and bringing in more and more rain.  It's also pushing rivers to flood stage, from the coast inland!  There will be several high tides during the time Florence sits at the coast which just adds to the amount of water entering the rivers.  It's a weird situation.  Normally, the rivers flow out to the sea, this is turning nature around!  Now, the tides are pushing the rivers back inland.  So, people who may not have been alerted to evacuate are needing to be rescued.   

Honored Contributor

About 10 days ago Pittsburgh was terribly flooded by the heavy rains left from Tropical storm Gordon,now this storm will do it all over again it looks like. However Pittsburgh is accustomed to flooding a few times a year. Not usually every other week, however.

Honored Contributor

It could rain until Sunday, and some places in North and South Carolina already have almost 20 " of rain. Easy to say it's hype when it's not your possessions and home being destroyed by storm surge and flooding rain. Not to mention no power for who knows how long.

Sometimes the lack of empathy around these parts is shocking. 

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"