Valued Contributor

Re: Hey Hurricane Florence......

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT MEDIA HYPE!!!

Unless you are already personally victimized by loss of anything during a HURRICANE,  TORNADO, CYCLONE,TROPICAL STORM, NOR'EASTER, TSUNAMI, ETC., the media cannot stress strongly enough to take and heed the media warnings VERY SEIOUSLY!!!

FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER AS THAT PROBABLY WILL SAVE YOU AND EVERYTHING WHICH HAS A BEATING HEART THAT YOU LOVE FROM LOSS OF LIFE.

BE SMART, LISTEN, FOLLOW WARNINGS AND DIRECTIONS AND STAY SMART AND SAFE.

"MAY GOD PROTECT US ALL IN TIMES OF MAN MADE AND NATURAL DISASTERS"

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My one cousin moved to Myrtle Beach to escape snow and cold in the north. and to be closer to her kids. This is her first hurricane. She fled her new home 2 days ago already (after it was boarded up) and is staying with family 2 states away. Shes very worried about her property holding up. She just bought the home less than 2 years ago. I hope everyone is safe. Been watching on CNN all night. Lots of areas are already flooded and power out in areas. And it doesnt hit land till morning.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

We left Wilmington two days ago, we’re in hotel in Richmond.  I’m praying for everyone who stayed, we were just too afraid to stay.  

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield

So glad you are safe!

reading Twitter just now, there are stranded people needing rescue and they sound quite frantic. Water is rising and they are trapped. So glad you made the choice you did❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

It appears this morning the storm is petering out. Although still a lot of rain, and always present possibility of storm surge, but down to a cat 1. i've lived through a few cat 1 & 2 storms when I was a kid spending the summers in Fl. Back then there weren't near the building codes nor anything like storm shutters or hurricane glass & underground electric  that exist today. I remember my Uncle having people come out to turn the gas off, and putting up plywood on the doors & windows. He did not have a garage so he'd take his car to a garage in town and have to walk home about 5 miles.And turning off the pool pumps and draining the water down real low.

Honored Contributor

Some of the pics and videos posted on The Weather Channel's site are heartbreaking. The storm surge combined with rainfall and the slow-moving storm makes this one a particularly dangerous situation.

Super Contributor

We lived through Sandy here, and I get upset when I hear about hundreds of people rescued (most new reports are saying over 200 rescued in New Bern) because they did not heed the order/warnings to evacuate.  This puts the first responders at risk. 

God bless everyone experiencing this storm right now. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Some of the pics and videos posted on The Weather Channel's site are heartbreaking. The storm surge combined with rainfall and the slow-moving storm makes this one a particularly dangerous situation.

While my heart does go out to those who have storm damage - the weather channel does REALLY over dramatize everything.

Contributor

Tell that to the 400,000 people without power and in need of being rescued.